Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

I have a garmin nuvi 265wt and it lost its voice. can you

Customer Question

I have a garmin nuvi 265wt and it lost its voice. can you help?
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,
Sorry to hear of the issue you are having with your GPS.
1) May I ask the AGE of your device and WHEN this issue first began?
2) May I also ask if you have ANY sound coming from the device - such as the "beep tones" when moving from one screen to another?
3) May I also ask if ANY updates have been done to this device - especially right about the time this issue began?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1) it is about 6 years old.2) no sound at all3) I turned it on yesterday and it alerted me to update the software and maps, but the sound stopped on that day and before I updated it. I did not get sound restored via the update. I then reset it and added 2 new voices to the unit but still no sound.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
OK - if you have NO SOUND at all (and did before this happened), I would be concerned about either:
1) the device being "muted" for all sound OR
2) a "hardware issue" - which could be something like the circuits inside the unit OR the speaker itself.
So can you CHECK the Volume setting (from the MAIN screen), and see if you can ADJUST the volume, and then see if the beep tones come back?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried all that. It is not muted and the volume is at 80%. It appears to be a common problem per my web research with no clear answers. That's why I am turning to you. I turned it on yesterday as I have been doing for the past 6 years and the sound is simply gone. Nothing I have tried brings it back.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
Just so you know - speakers (and other hardware) DO fail every now and then.
May I ask you to CONFIRM that you CHANGED to volume level, both UP and DOWN?
Also, did you CHECK for the VOICE files and CHANGE it so some other voice, and try that?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried everything you have suggested prior to me contacting you.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
Sorry - I have to ask - because I have no idea what "everything" involves.
So did you actually SEE and change voices, and have the same results?
If so, would you be "comfortable" trying to open the case of the device - to TEST if the speaker wiring came loose?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everything you have suggested - means I tried everything you have already suggested prior to contacting you. I saw all the voices and tried several of them. I then added additional voices on the Garmin web site and tried those, as well. And, no, I am not comfortable opening up the unit. I would rather buy a new one.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again and thanks for that.
Just so we are clear, I do not represent Garmin, or any other big company, but I'm an independent professional and have worked with these devices for years.
I just checked the Garmin "repair page" for out of warranty products, and it appears that this particular unit has been "discontinued" (no longer made) plus the do not offer any repair service for it.
BUT, I do know of a company that MAY be able to repair it for you - if you can get into their schedule.
Would you like me to look into that, or would you like recommendations for a replacement unit? I only ask because a new unit MAY be the best choice, as the prices of these units has dropped quite a bit in the last couple of years PLUS MOST of the newer units come with "Lifetime Map" updates - which used to be separate.
Please let me know how you would like to proceed.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am going to buy a new unit. How do your charges apply if you could not help me fix it?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
That may be the best choice at this point.
We professionals here have no access to any deposit or charges that may have been made, but only offer our services to help troubleshoot any issue you may have. This service may not be able to "fix" a device - especially if it is a "hardware issue" - which is what I suspect at this point.
If you feel this service has been helpful in troubleshooting the issue, you can rate my service at a high level (good or above) and that will credit me for my time in helping you.
If you would like further information - like advice on a purchasing a particular unit to suit your needs, I can do that too - at no additional charge.
Please let me know what you would like to do now.
Thanks, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing, thanks.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Very good - you are quite welcome.
Please let me know if you have any more questions about this device - either now or in the future (I'm here almost every day).
One other TIP: you can USUALLY find the BEST prices (and customer reviews) for these devices on Amazon - using their "search".
I have a link below for a search for "Nuvi LMT" that should get you started. NOTE: Once you know the prices on Amazon, you can use that information to check the LOCAL stores - and see if they will "price match" the online listing (many stores will do that - IF you know to ask).
http://amzn.to/1MIrfqj
Take Care & Travel Safe, Greg A.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.
I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please stop emailing me.