Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

After I updated my garmin I can no longer locate new address.

Customer Question

After I updated my garmin I can no longer locate new address. When I press the address button-it shows no data available. How can I correct this issue?
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,
Sorry to hear of the issue you are having with your GPS.
May I ask the model number of the device?
May I also ask what tool (program) was used to do the update AND how that update appeared to go?
That is, did all seem to go well, and at the very end were there any messages on the computer or device?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the model I have is Nuvi 660 Did the update as I always have & did not find any problems with the update process. Unit has retained all of the stored adresses
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No messages that I recall
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Did you use Garmin Express or some other program?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did the update on my pc & logged into Garmin & went thru process as instructed. Do not know recall program name.
Have done process many times in the past without any problems. Assume it was Garmin Express
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
OK - Do you normally "eject" the device from the computer before unplugging the USB cable?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't believe so
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
OK - then let's CHECK to see if the maps made it to the device, and are there now.
Do you know how to reach the "Map info" screen on the device, and can check that for me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you want me to plug device into pc?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My device shows maps-just cannot load any new locations
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
OK - assuming you have the device with you now, please start at the MAIN screen, then touch Settings (the wrench), then MAP, and then the MAP INFO button (usually at the bottom of the screen).
Then let me know EXACTLY what you see on that screen.
And no, you do not need it plugged into the computer.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
SEE map detail-Most
mapview-3d view
map Outlines On
vehicle-ChangeBack-restore
Bttery will not hold charge very long
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
OK - I assume the battery is getting old, and that's why it won't hold a charge very long.
Can you look at the VERY BOTTOM of that screen and see if you can find an INFO button (or Map info)?
And do you happen to have an AC adapter for powering the device indoors?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I use the device-I plug it into the lighter plug in the car. Battery has gone bad quite a while ago. Can I use charger from my cell phone?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
You can TRY a cell phone charger - if the connector will fit.
As long as it is rated for 5 volts and about 1 Amp of current, it might work.
Please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes there is a map info button at bottom of screen-also restore button
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
OK - please touch the Map info button, and let me know what you see on that screen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you want to restore default SETTINGS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
No - just the MAP INFO button.
Did you push that button and get another screen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It shows
Map detail Normal
Map View 3Dview
Map outlines On
Vehicle Change
That is what show on the screen
Back Restore
Thatis what shows on the screen
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
Let's see if you can see this image, which is a screen shot of one of the units I have.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/MC/MCVGreg/2014-05-08_043302_map-button-screen-01.jpg
Is that what you see, and can you touch that map info button?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
OK - can you HIGHLIGHT that link, and then right-click your mouse, and select "Open Link in new tab"?
That should show the image.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do not see map info button- I push the tool bar, then I pushed maps & it shows what I sent you at first. Do not see any of the images ou show
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Let me try a DIFFERENT screen, and perhaps you can see the image links. I will attach one screen that shows WHERE the Map info button should be, and the other screen shows approximately what you should see one the Map Info button is touched. Please see if you can NOT click on these links and see the images here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I press Map info , the unit does not do anything, Everything else is lit up except Map Info
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
OK - very good - that is what I wanted to know.
If the Map Info button does NOTHING OR it is NOT highlighted (grayed out), then it means that the maps are NOT installed in the device.
So may I ask if you have an SD card installed in the device - that holds the maps?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, there is no SD card
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
OK - if that is the case, then I believe the maps did NOT get written to the device memory - at the final stage of the update.
This often happens when the computer program says that it is "done" and it is OK to remove the device, but the data has NOT REALLY been "finalized" - or written to the device memory at the very end. That is why I ask about "Ejecting" the device - before removing the cable.
So I believe the solution is to go back to the map update program and use the REINSTALL maps option, to install the maps again.
And this time, I would recommend that you WAIT AT LEAST ONE FULL MINUTE after the program says it is done, and THEN to EJECT the device - BEFORE removing it from the USB cable.
One other thing: It would be a good idea to let the device CHARGE UP for about 20 minutes before starting the process again. These device MUST have a decent level of charge to be able to have their map updated in a "reliable" way.
Please let me know if you can do that and your results - when you can. I will be here for at least another hour, and again tomorrow.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried going in & updating again but was denied access & showed I have already updated my unit.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
OK - may I ask if you purchased "lifetime updates" for this device?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This unit included lifetime updates
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have been updating for a number of years
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
OK - if that is the case, you SHOULD have a "REINSTALL" option somewhere in that program. OR it could be labeled as CHANGE maps.
Can you please look around at the options and see if you can find either of those choices?
AND if you can verify that this IS the Garmin Express program, that would be good too.
Thanks
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.
I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Originally the unit was loaded with map of all of the 50 states. Now I can only certain areas such as western area,eastern area,southwest etc. Have not been able to restore original data per your instructions
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
OK - I think I understand the issue now.
There are a couple of concerns with this series of devices AND the updated maps.
Concern 1: As the maps are updated, MORE AND MORE detail is also added for the points of interest, which causes the SIZE of the maps to increase - sometimes to a VERY large size (I believe the North America maps are now over 3GB in size - if memory serves).
Concern 2: The INTERNAL memory of these devices is not enough space to hold ALL of the data that you may want to have.
Concern 3: This particular series of devices (Nuvi 600 series) has an OLDER "Architecture" for accessing memory - including any SD card you may have installed - so that it can NOT access any file that is 2GB in size or larger.
See reference pages below:
SD card limitations for Automotive devices: http://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={18331ce0-4af6-11e3-f27b-000000000000}
Check "Note 1" on that page
Devices NOT compatible with 2GB map files (link near note 1 above).
http://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={b4b6e4a0-f1af-11df-ea12-000000000000}
You will see from that last page that the 600 series is on that list.
So what that means is that you MAY be able to do a "work around" by having TWO SD cards, and use a program like MapInstall to put two smaller regions (like East & West) on the TWO different cards, and then swap them in as needed.
As I may have mentioned earlier, I have the same issue with one of my personal units (a Nuvi 650), but I don't travel across all of the states anymore, so I don't need to use the 2 SD cards.
Plus, I have been "waiting" until something else "breaks" or I have a chance to get a newer unit - that has more internal memory OR can handle the larger files (almost ALL recent Nuvi units work fine with the larger files).
Plus, almost ALL of the current Nuvi units have the option to have Lifetime Map updates (look for the LM at the end of the model number), and they cost much less than just a few years ago.
So what I am doing is researching what unit I want to upgrade to, and keeping an eye out for "sales" - which almost always happen around "shopping season" (in the fall).
I'm NOT suggesting that you do the same, but it is something to think about. Sometimes these device just get "too old" to support the current features and maps, and if you NEED a device to work for your travels (or perhaps a "job"), then upgrading to a more current device might be a "good thing" to do.
If you want to take a look at some of the current devices out there, and the prices, I have a link to Amazon where I did a search for "Nuvi LMT" (Includes Lifetime Maps and Traffic).
http://amzn.to/1MIrfqj
Please let me know what you think, what you find, and what you decide to do at this point. And let me know if you have any more questions.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)