Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Computers and Electronics. GPS Expert.
23511658

Greg,I have a variation on the questions others have asked.

Customer Question

Greg,
I have a variation on the questions others have asked. I have two GPS units and regularly copy the current gpx file, renaming it to current1 from one to the other so that the 2 units mirror each other.
I've recently gone in and deleted about 100 favorites from one of the units and want to have the second device mirror those updates. When one does the copy of current gpx file, renames it and puts it on the second device, the deleted favorites remain. Is there a straightforward way to not have it combine the current and current1 gpx files on the second device so that the deleted favorites don't continue showing up?
Category: GPS
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** can help you with your question. That's a new twist on a very good question. Normally, I would say to transfer the current one not GPX as well, but I would imagine you have a reason why that wouldn't work for you.There is a long way around that will probably still save you a ton of time. And that is to use Garmin express to transfer your saved items.1.Install Garmin Express and launch it2. Attach your old Garmin, Garmin express should find your device3. Click on Device (From choice of Updates Device Extras 4. Scroll down to Backup and back up your old device - this is the information you want to transfer to your new Garmin.5. Remove your old device.6. Attach your new device7. In the upper left under the Garmin Express header is a box that should show your new device8. Scroll down to Transfer Saved Places9: Check that the To is your new device and From is your old device.10: To the right is a drop down box that should should have the date you do this, that is the data file that will be transferred. And that should do it. Let me know if you still have questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

These are both "old" devices with existing favorites on them. Both have GPX files named "current.gpx" and "current1.gpx".

I do not want to combine the favorites which occurs when you transfer saved places from device 1 to device 2.

What I want to do in effect is delete all favorites from device 2 and then copy my favorites from device 1 to device 2. That way both have the exact same favorites.

I believe you have to do this another way. Can you help with this?

It seems like this would be easy to do, but when one deletes both gpx files on device 2 and then copies both gpx files from device 1 to device 2, you still end up with combined files and the two don't match.

Arthur, you can do a backup from one device and then restore to the other. You would do that in Garmin express as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Mike,

So I did the back-up as you indicated within Garmin Express. It appears I can restore to only the same device - no option is presented to restore to the second device within Garmin Express.

Is there something I'm missing that I need to do to make this option work?

Arthur

Actually Arthur I thought that it would do the restore to a different device, but that is based on my experience from a while back. It is possible that they've removed that functionality because of people inadvertently restoring to the wrong device.
This last suggestion is pretty severe. And there is plenty that could go wrong. But in case you would like to try it – definitely make a backup of the original unit before trying this.
First, backup the unit with the favorites as you want them, then delete ALL data in the destination unit then copy your backup GPX file to \GPX\temp.gpx on the destination device. When you reboot it should take the backup that is named temp.GPX and restore.