Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

I updated my 1350how do I unplug it without loosig the new

Customer Question

I updated my 1350how do I unplug it without loosig the new input÷
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,
Sorry to hear of the issue you are having with your GPS.
May I ask for the FULL MAKE (brand) of GPS that you are working with?
May I also ask what type of computer system (Windows, Mac) you have been using to do the updates?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Garmin 350
Mac OS X
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am an 91 yr. old and am not a computer expert. I don't understand why you are making this difficult
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
Sorry for any delay.
I ask for more information so that I can give you an ACCURATE response and answer. I am NOT trying to make this difficult.
OK - in your earlier message you said "1350" - I assume for a model number.
In your last message you are now saying "350".
So may I ask which model Number it is?
I only ask because there are actually TWO such models (a 350 and 1350) - if you are referring to the Nuvi series of automotive devices.
Thanks
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
Let me see if I can explain what MAY have happened in the past and WHY you may have seen messages on your computer telling you NOT to remove a device from a USB connection.
I will try NOT to be "too technical" :).
When ANY "removable storage" device is attached to your computer via a USB port (like a memory stick OR a Garmin device), it takes a bit of TIME to actually TRANSFER and FINALIZE the data, before it is safe to PHYSICALLY remove the device.
BUT, many computer operations want to "finish quickly" - so as not to keep the end user "waiting" for a response on the computer screen.
As a result, a program that you are running MAY put up a message that says it is "Done", but the final bits of data are NOT ACTUALLY WRITTEN to the REMOVABLE STORAGE device.
Now in MOST CASES, it takes just a few seconds to write that final bit of data, but sometimes we humans are "too quick" - to pull the device out of the computer - or pull the cable out of the device. The result CAN BE that the update you waited so long for does not get the very last bits of data written, and you may have to "start over" (so to speak) with the update process.
Now here is the SOLUTION for most of these types of issues - and this applies to removable memory sticks as well as GPS units like the one you have.
1) When the computer says it is DONE - WAIT an EXTRA 30-60 seconds - to MAKE SURE it is really done.
2) While waiting, WATCH ANY "Activity Indicator" on the storage device (if one is there). If it is still "blinking" and showing activity - data may still be MOVING - so wait some more (another 30 seconds should be fine).
3) When you think the process is "Done" - always "Eject" the device - USING THE EJECT TOOL of the computer.
In the case of the MAC computers, the EJECT function is done by DRAGGING the REMOVABLE STORAGE DEVICE ICON to the "Trash".
In the case of a WINDOWS computer, there is usually a "SAFE REMOVAL/EJECT MEDIA" ICON on the main TASK BAR (lower part of the screen) that is used to EJECT devices.
In either case, what the EJECT function does is FORCES the FINAL DATA TO BE WRITTEN to the device - so that it can be safely removed. And in MOST CASES there will be a POP-UP message on the computer screen telling you it is now SAFE TO REMOVE the device.
4) Once these things happen, it should be SAFE to physically remove the device from the computer (or from the USB cable).
I hope this is not "too much information", but in case, let me give you the process that I ALWAYS USE when writing to a "removable storage" device.
a) WAIT for the program to SAY it is "DONE" writing, then WAIT and extra 30-60 seconds.
b) ALWAYS use the EJECT feature of your computer BEFORE physically removing the device from the USB connection.
c) Once removed, TEST the removable device - if possible - to verify that the data was successfully written.
I hope this helps explain what may be happening and help you to avoid any "lost data" in the future.
Please give these steps and tips a try the next time you prepare to disconnect a removable storage device, and I think you will have good results.
And please let me know if you have any more questions.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.
I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)