Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  Giving Directions to wayward GPS devices for over a decade. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

When i turn on my sky caddie SGX i get the message SGXUpdate.exe.

Customer Question

Hi When i turn on my sky caddie SGX i get the message SGXUpdate.exe. Error. An unexpected error has occured but the screen is also frozen
Category: GPS
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.
How old is your unit? What happened prior to you getting this error? Did you try and update the device? Did it fall? Any details would be appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
13 months old. Just out of warranty apparently. I have tried soft reset and main reset and am still getting the same error message when i turn it back on. When i try and sync the device it wont recognize the device on my PC
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 1 year ago.
Lets see if we can get it recognized by the computer. When you tried to sync, did you connect the device to the computer while it was on? If you did, turn the device off. Reconnect it to the computer and then turn it on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just tried that, error message still comes up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is a screenshot of the error
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 1 year ago.
Ok this is a software error and without being able to connect it to the computer, we wont be able to rectify the issue. Try performing a hard reset and then immediately plugging it into the computer. Do you need the method for hard reset (I see you have performed it earlier).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have tried this. I assume by pressing the I and flag buttons together and holding them while turning on the device this is what you are talking about. When i do this the error message still comes up
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 1 year ago.
Thats correct, press and hold the I and Flag buttons together and while holding the buttons, turn the device on. Do not release the buttons and continue to hold them after you turn the device turns on. This should put the device in recovery mode. Try it the way I just mentioned and see if it works.
I know this is a pain but please understand with electronics sometimes the easy fix isn't always going to work and I appreciate your patience while I help you work through this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi no problem but it is still the same. it doesn't seem to let the device get into recovery mode
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 1 year ago.
Alright, I am out of things to try, I will opt out and open this question up to other experts to see if anyone else has something else that you can try. You need not respond, when the next expert becomes available they will reply to this.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today!
This isnt quite a fix perse, but may help. You can have skycaddie replace the entire SGX device for 90$ even if you are outside of your warranty. The page below discusses how.
http://clubsg.skygolf.com/content/faq/skycaddie+registration/register+a+new+skycaddie/6-4120-How_can_I_replace_the_battery_on_my_SkyCadie_SGX.html
It mentions if the battery has failed, but ultimately if you pay the 90$ they will replace the unit itself, with a refurbished working unit.
With that being said.. I was looking for a tutorial showing you how to open the skycaddie, and remove the battery. ( not so you can replace it, but just so that we can completely power down the device in the hopes of completing a proper reset)
The batteries can be replaced, but opening the device would void the warranty ( granted, its expired as is ) and opening the device may also prohibit the 90$ exchange.
How you choose to proceed is up to you. If youd like to try and open the device and disconnect the battery. You will need a set of tools similar to the small pack shown on this page
http://www.batteryship.com/htmlos/htmlos.cgi/batteryship/catalog.html?item=GPS0320MG051&model=SkyCaddie+SGX+GPS+Rangefinder
And the small white connector that goes to the battery, thats what you need to disconnect.
Also of note, before you received this error I am assuming that when you hooked up to the sky sync website before. That the Caddie was able to be seen, and updated / synced?
Assuming it was working before, The above info is the best I can offer you at this time.
If you have further questions, or want to continue working on this issue let me know.
I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent submitted below this answer when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.
Dustin S.
Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.