Steve G., Technician
Experience:  My company does component level repairs for GPS equip.
329447

How accurate are GPS locaters and how quickly can they track

Customer Question

How accurate are GPS locaters and how quickly can they track movement?
Category: GPS
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.
Are you referring to GPS units that help you navigate or GPS trackers that help you find the location of someone or something?
Please let me know so that we can continue.
Regards
Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
GPS trackers
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.
If the tracker is a true GPS unit and not using WiFi or cell towers (the GPS in your phone uses all three) then the accuracy is within 50 feet and usually within less than 20 feet.
Phones can be even more accurate.
I hope that answers your question. If it does, please remember to rate the service I provided by clicking a smiley face (or stars) and then the 'Submit' button. Don't worry, this won't close your question... you can still come back whenever you want if you need more information.
If this didn't answer your question, just click 'Reply to Expert' and let me know! I'll try and help further.
Regards
Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You didn't answer the second part, regarding how often it updates...
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.
Ooops, sorry about that.
This depends on a couple of things including what type of tracker you are using. If you are using a real time tracker, then that tracker is using a cell phone signal to call in the location and most can update almost in real time. If not real time, ten 10 second intervals is very common.
I hope that helps. Please let me know if I missed anything else. Sorry about that.
Steve
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. I saw you viewed my answer. Do you have any other questions?