Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Computers and Electronics. GPS Expert.
23511658

I have a Nuvi 700 series GPS. It has shown "loading maps"

Customer Question

I have a Nuvi 700 series GPS. It has shown "loading maps" for hours and will not activate.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
Turn the GPS off and disconnect the power cable. If the unit will not turn off normally, perform a soft reset.
Use a finger or a soft pencil eraser to press and hold the bottom right corner of the touchscreen. Press the power button and continue to press the screen.
The words "Do you really want to erase all user data?" will appear. Release the screen and press the "Yes" button. Wait for the GPS to completely reset.
If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing happened. Prior to following your instructions, the screen showed the Garmin logo and in small print at the bottom "updating maps", it has been doing that for hours.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
You said loading before not updating, I apologize but I need to opt out and open this to all experts.
.
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** can help you with some additional. There are a few possible ways to fix this however, Garmin considers this to the a hardware problem in need of repair. So I just want to set your expectations properly that this may end up being something you have to send in to Garmin service. But I do have some other things you can try that I've used successfully on several occasions come this stuck on the map updating screen.Most of this is directly from Garmin – so you'll see where it says it requires service but take that as a grain of salt for now until all these other options are exhausted basically to. One is reinstalling the firmware and the second is doing a full reset of the device.If your device reboots, locks up, or shuts down occasionally while navigating and allows you to go into mass storage mode when you connect it to the computer, please perform a software update using our Webupdater program to correct the issue. Steps to perform a software update can be found here:How do I update my unit's software using Webupdater? If your device is currently experiencing the following symptoms it may need to come in for service/repair:The device powers on and freezes at the Garmin logo with no trademark or copyright info displayed on the device which normally shows up below the logo. The device will not display the Main Menu and will not go into Mass Storage Mode.The device powers on and freezes at the Garmin logo and then flashes a white screen briefly. The device then begins a loop of showing the Garmin logo and then flashes the white screen over and over again. The device will not display the Main Menu and will not go into Mass Storage Mode.The device powers on and then freezes or shuts down when displaying the Loading Maps screen.Use the WebUpdater software to install the latest firmware (if possible), and if still not working properly:CLICK HERE to initiate a warranty claim if the unit was purchased within 1 year.CLICK HERE to see Garmin's Flat Rate repair service.You may want to attempt a master reset of your device first:To perform a Master Reset on the nuvi 700 series device:1. Start with the unit OFF and unplugged from power2. Touch and hold the lower right corner of the screen with an index finger or the eraser end of a pencil3. Continue touching and holding the lower right hand corner of the screen then power the unit ON4. Release the power button when the device powers ON* You will see a new message: Do you really want to erase all user data?5. Remove your finger from the touchscreen when this message displays6. Touch YesThe device will automatically reset. Follow the on screen prompts then place your device in an area with a clear view of the sky until it acquires satellites.If this allows you to pass the "loading maps" screen - use WebUpdater to update the firmware.Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/car-electronics/55ep9-garmin-nuvi-760-frozen-screen-shows-garmin-loading.html#ixzz3ZQMXH1kG