Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years

My Tom Tom GPS unit has lost its voice; is there anyway to

My Tom Tom GPS unit has lost its voice; is there anyway to get it back?
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of the issue you are having with your GPS.

May I ask the Model Number of your device? If you don't have that, please look on the back or edge of your device and let me know the first 5 characters of the device serial number (right next to a bar code).

May I also ask the AGE of the device and if you are hearing ANY sound from it all (like when you move between screens)?

Thanks
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Tomtom one xl

Oh, I have tried to turn on and off the voice but that didn't help

Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.
Hi again and thanks for that information.

Thanks
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

L17387J00532

Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.
Hi Ron,

May I ask:
1) the AGE of the device and
2) if you hear ANY sounds at all from the device (such as when you go from screen to screen)?

Thanks
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

This GPS is mounted in an '07 pickup. I think I purchased it some time following my truck purchase.

As for sounds, absolutely nothing. Can the speakers go bad?

Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.

If you have no sounds at all, then YES, the speaker CAN go bad. But, there are a few things we should check FIRST.

On one of your "preferences" screens, you should have a slider for volume. If you can find that slider and CHANGE it, and then see if you have any sound, that would be great.

Now you MAY have to scroll through your screens, but the basic flow is:
Check the Change preferences menu - to see if the sound is turned ON.
If you see an icon labeled "Turn off sound", then the sound is ON (so that should be good).

Next, check the Change preference & Volume preference menu - this is where you should see the slider. It should look something like this (image below).

graphic

If you see that, MOVE the slider and then press the Test button.

Please give these steps a try and let me know what you see - and HEAR.

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

By the way this problem has been occurring for some time. I just thought I'd fix it if possible as the voice is extremely helpful when I'm driving by myself.

On the screen with the slider there isn't a test button. Is the test button on another screen?

By the way, I haven't been able to update my maps as it seems your GPS units won't work with Apple computers.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.
Hi again,

When you say this problem has been occurring for some time, does that mean that it "comes and goes" OR that it failed some time ago, and has never come back on?

If it "comes & goes", that would (in my experience) point more to a hardware issue vs. a software issue.

Please let me know.

P.S. I believe there is an Apple version of the update software, but I will have to check on that for you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Sorry about not finding the 'test' button. I was just moving too fast. After I responded I did find the button and tried to test with absolutely no sound.

When the sound loss occurred I don't remember it coming and going; as I remember it just stopped. As I analyze the situation it is almost like one of the wires to the speaker broke or became separated from the speaker.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.

Hi again,

I tend to agree with your analysis - in that this is most likely a hardware issue vs. software. And it could be a loose/broken wire (that DOES happen), or it could be something more "internal" or severe.

In either case, may I ask if you would like to attempt to troubleshoot/repair the device, and if you have ANY experience in this area?

I ask this because once you are past the 1 year warranty period, having TomTom repair the device is pretty hard to arrange, and about the only other choice (besides doing it yourself) is taking it to a local repair GPS shop - and see if they will try it. In my experience, any such repair would cost just as much or more than simply purchasing a new unit. AND - now that we are in the "shopping season", you should be able to find some really good bargains on these type devices.

Please let me know what you would like to try.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

P.S. Do you have TomTom HOME loaded on your Apple computer (Mac I assume)?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Greg, I think is a hardware problem the more I get into this. Over the years my wife and have gone through several GPS units so moving on with this one won't be a big deal. Between our various vehicles, I think we currently have most the major manufacturers represented. However, this is my only TomTom one.

As for installing 'TomTom Home', no, I didn't even know one existed.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.

Hi again,

I hear ya Ron. Between all the GPS "toys" I have used over the years, I think I have gone through most of the manufacturers too. Between handheld and auto GPS units, my current (home) stock is all Garmin, and that is what I have the most "long term" experience with. My handheld (GPS 12XL) & OLD auto (Nuvi 650) still continue to work, and my wife's Nuvi 2360 (with voice commands & Bluetooth) gets a workout every week.

As for TomTom HOME (the program), let me give you the link for where you can download and installed it. Now if this IS a hardware issue, doing an update will obviously NOT fix it, but at least you will have the program and you can give it a try.

Click Here --> Get TomTom Update program(s).

Once you're on that page, the download links SHOULD be in the right-hand column.

Please let me know if you have ANY more questions and what happens IF you can download and update your device - using the HOME program.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

(im)

Greg A., Engineer
Experience: Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years