Hello. My name isXXXXX will be your primary care technician.
The SPO SERIALPORT.CPP error message is due to a communications error affecting the flow of data from the computer to the GPS. Typically, it is caused by the communications port of the computer.
To troubleshoot this issue try the following:
- Make sure that MapSource is not running
- Click the link: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209
- Click on Download
- Save the file to your Desktop
- Double-Click the file to Run (or Open) the update
- On the "Welcome to the MapSource Web Update" screen click Next
- Accept the terms of the license agreement and click Next
- When it is finished, click Done
Note: To check the version of MapSource currently running or to verify the update was complete in MapSource, click on the Help menu and choose "About MapSource..." This will display the version below the MapSource title.
Cable Connection: Check to ensure the GPS and the computer are securely connected
Serial Port Not Initialized: Make sure the Garmin GPS unit is plugged in and turned on and then restart the computer
Active Processes: Active processes that can use serial port on the computer can cause communication issues between the GPS and the computer. To determine if an active process on the computer may be causing a communication issue between the GPS device and the computer's serial port:
- Right-click on the clock at the bottom right corner of the screen and select Task Manager
- Click on the Processes tab
- Click on Image Name to alphabetize the list
- Look for any active process named Activesync, Hotsync, BBDVMonitor, Besmonitor, Intercept, LVCOMM, Tablet, UPS, WCESComm, WCESMgr, WeatherPak, x10net, ZUNE
- If any of the active processes listed in Step 4 are , right-click on it and select End Process
- Click Yes on the Task Manager Warning window to confirm the termination of the process
Note: The processes will start up again every time the computer is rebooted.
Bad Cable: Try another serial interface cable to ensure that the cable is not damaged and blocking some of the data transfer
Damaged Serial Port: As a last resort, try another computer to help narrow down the root cause of the problem between cable and communications port issues.
If detection is not achieved after trying these solutions, there may be a problem with the GPS device itself.
Please let me know if you have any questions.