Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years

Garmin 2595 quit posting correct speed, speed limit, time,

Garmin 2595 quit posting correct speed, speed limit, time, elevation.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of the issue you are having with your GPS.

May I ask the AGE of your device and WHEN this issue first began?

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I'm not sure about the age . . . . I didn't buy it new, but it has been working fine until my last trip a couple days ago.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.
Hi again and thanks for that information.

May I ask if you have traveled a LONG distance since the device last worked - without powering the device on -
OR
was/is the device having ANY trouble with running from the internal battery?

Thanks
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

No, I normally have unit on when I'm driving and I haven't gone on long trips recently--maybe 35 miles. And it is normally run off the vehicle battery (plugged into 12 volt outlet).

Yeah, problem also exists running from the internal battery. Location/maps work, just not the data in the lower area of the map.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.

OK - from all the symptoms you reported (speed, speed limit, time, elevation), it sounded like the unit is NOT finding the satellites.

But when you mentioned that the "Location/maps work" - that would tend to indicate that it IS finding the satellites.

So may I ask you to look at the TIME listing - at the TOP of the MAIN screen - and let me know if that time is displaying and accurate? This is to double check if the time IS correct.

Also, when you are on the main screen, please touch the "signal bars" at the top and let me know what you see on that screen.
NOTE: you MAY have to hold that icon for a few seconds to see the satellite detail page.

Thanks
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Okay, when running off the internal battery, when I first turn it on--before I unlock--the time reads correctly and changes appropriately. Same for top of main screen. What I forgot to tell you earlier, though, is that when I first go to the map screen, if I have time selected in the bottom left block, if shows correctly, but doesn't change.

Now, as for satellite detail: it shows location by lat and long in the top left, "14 Foot Accuracy" in the top right, couple concentric circles with some sort of symbols containing numbers in the lower left, speed of 0 m h and elevation of 2336 ft in center right, and vertical blue bars with numbers below in lower right.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.
Hi again and thanks for that detailed information.

So it does sound like the satellite signals ARE being found and tracked (based on accuracy reading).

I think I also have a better idea about which displays you are specifically referring to, where are the ones at the BOTTOM of the screen - in what might be called the "dashboard area".

So let me ask you if you can TOUCH those display areas - and get them to show up on a DIFFERENT screen - where you can set what is displayed in them?
In some devices, you can touch them and change them to "current time" or "ETA", that kind of thing.

Please give that a try and let me know what you see.

Thanks
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Yup, the dashboard is what I'm talking about. If I touch the left display I can change the display to "Direction of Travel", "Elevation", "Time of Day", or, if I'm navigating to a destination, ETA, or time of arrival (and maybe others). If I touch the speed display on the right, it gives me trip A and B information, direction of travel, speed, Max speed, Moving Avg. Overall Avg., stopped time, moving time, and total time.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.
Hi again,

OK - very good. So from what you said, those numbers are either WRONG or BLANK - is that correct?

If so, which one (wrong or blank) is it?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

No, the numbers aren't blank. They are wrong. The only ones I can speak to are time on the left dashboard (I mean, how do I know what the elevation is, or ETA, or . . . . ) and speed. They show a number but that number which may be correct when the unit is first turned on, but does not change over distance or time.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.
Hi again,

OK - let's try a couple of things - to see if we can get it to respond again.

The first is a "soft reset" - which basically restarts the unit at a "little more severe level" than just turning it off and back on again.

For a soft reset, disconnect the device from power, and then push and HOLD the power switch - for 30-60 seconds. What normally happens at that point is the device screen goes OFF and then comes back ON. OR, if you are starting with the device OFF, it will come ON, and then switch OFF while you are holding the power switch, and then come back ON. That is what we are trying to do.

Once that happens, go back to the map screen - where the numbers are displayed - and see if they look more correct. Of course if you are sitting still, the speed should be zero, or close to it. I've seen these unit show 1-2 MPH when I was walking with them on the sidewalk, so you might expect something similar.

Now if that doesn't change things, the next step to try will be a "Master Reset", but this will clear out any stored data that you have (like "favorites"), so we want to try this soft reset first.

Please give that a try and then TEST again - to see if the numbers look better.
Also, if the street you live near DOES have the speed limit data normally displayed (such as when you are coming home or leaving), then you should be able to check for that too.

When I hear back if this works or not, then I will send along the instructions for a "Master Reset" - if needed.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

P.S. I'm sending this as and answer, as it MAY lead to the solution, but please don't rate our work together here until we know the final results.

(im)
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Just took a quick trip down the block and the reset seem to have solved the problem. I tried that procedure, but must not have held the power switch down long enough.

Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.
Hi again,

That is GREAT to hear.

Please let me know if you have any more issue in the future or any more questions.

And please take a moment to rate my service level (Excellent is may goal) for helping you today.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Greg A., Engineer
Experience: Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years