simitpatel
simitpatel, Customer Service
Experience:  I regularly repair and work with various GPS devices.

Nuvi 660 to Nuvi 2555M data transfer? Can I transfer Nuvi

Nuvi 660 to Nuvi 2555M data transfer? Can I transfer Nuvi 660 "Favorits" to my new Nuvi 2555M "Saved" file location? If so, how? The manual seem to suggest a "copy" and "paste" procedure, but does not indicate which files. ??? John R.
Category: GPS
Expert:  simitpatel replied 5 months ago.

simitpatel :

Hello. Please let me know when you are ready.

Customer:

yes ...

simitpatel :

The file that you want to copy is named "current.gpx". Once you copy that file over, you should see the favorites on the new GPS.

simitpatel :

The file is located in the "GPX" folder.

Customer:

OK, thx ... I will try that. How do I stay in contact with you to confirm or ask more questions?

simitpatel :

If you are going to try it out now, I can wait here.

simitpatel :

Otherwise, you can just bookmark this page for any follow up.

Customer:

OK, standby ... John

simitpatel :

OK.

Customer:

Hello...still there? The file seemed to move ok with a copy paste. BUT, the 2555 still shows the old saved locations. ??? Do I need to reboot the 2555?

simitpatel :

If you still had favorites on the 2555, then those favorites got merged with these. You need to delete all the favorites on the 2555 first, and then copy that file over again. To delete the favorites, go to Menu > Tools > My Data > Delete Favorites

Customer:

OK ... But it seems that the "favorites" are no longer on the 660. ??? Let me check some more ...

simitpatel :

As long as you copied the file, and you didn't 'cut' the file, it should still be there.

Customer:

Yes, the 660 files are still working on the GPS. I will try now to delete files on the 2555 and do a copy/paste. (I did not use the cut/paste operation.)

simitpatel :

OK. Let me know how it goes.

Customer:

Well ... the gpx file copied ok with the proper size that was on the 660, but the "save" gps locatons on the 2550 are still the original ones that came loaded on the new unit. ??? Under the "current.gpx" folder, I see a file with a "lpt" extenstion. Size is 6k bytes on the transferred file. Any clues?

Customer:

Should I copy the entire GPX file, or only the "current.gpx" file?

simitpatel :

Which "Save" locations are you referring to. Please describe how you get to that screen.

Customer:

On the new 2555, under the "Where to?" screen, there are 3 choices on right side of the screen; Categories, Saved, and Recent. This model does not have a "Favorites".

simitpatel :

I'm sorry, I had left out one step.

simitpatel :

You need to copy the file from the old Nuvi to your desktop, and then RENAME the file to current1.gpx, and then copy it to the new Nuvi.

simitpatel :

And you will also need to delete the current.gpx file that is on the new nuvi.

Customer:

OK, I will try that. But before I do that, I want to back up both file first so I don't lose them ...

simitpatel :

Of course.

Customer:

Bingo ...I'm in. That final step worked ok. Super thanks. Save me a lot of work on the new unit. John R,

simitpatel :

Awesome. Sorry for leaving that VERY important step.

simitpatel :

If I answered your question, please don't forget to rate my answer. Any bonuses are greatly appreciated.

Customer:

That's ok... we got there! Have a nice day/evening ... John R.

simitpatel :

You too, John.

simitpatel :

Please don't forget to rate the answer.

simitpatel, Customer Service
Experience: I regularly repair and work with various GPS devices.