Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years

our Garmin nuvi 1390 suddenly stopped - no image on screen

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of the issue you are having with your GPS.

May I ask the AGE of your device and WHEN this issue first began?

May I also ask WHEN the last time you SUCCESSFULLY used the device?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The device is about 4 years old.

The issue began today and it worked earlier in the day. ( Oct 30,2013)

Hi again and thanks for that information.

Can you tell me if the device "just quite" - while in use?

Or was it turned OFF (after a trip) and then would not come back on?

Also, has the device RECENTLY been tested to see if it would operate ONLY on the internal battery?

(and yes, these batteries are NOT intended to be replaced by the "typical user" - but it can be done).

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This is my third try.

device was working then unplugged from car power source. about 15 minutes later plugged back in and nothing happened.

Has not been tested recently to see if it would operate on internal battery.

Hi again,

Sorry for any trouble you may be having sending your responses back.

OK - let's try the EASIEST thing we can try - as a FIRST STEP.

Please disconnect the device from ANY power source, and then push and HOLD the power switch for up to 1 or 2 full minutes.

If you see the screen come on, release the power switch.

Yes, this sounds like a long time, but often these devices can go into a "sleep" or "low power" mode, and this is a "soft reset" that can get them out of that mode.

Please give that a try and let me know your results.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

held for more than 2 minutes and did not work

Hi again,

OK - now we need to consider if the vehicle power adapter has either failed or has a blown fuse - in the tip.

May I ask if you have a USB cable - that you can use to connect the device to a powered ON computer? In this way we can TEST - to see if the device will take a charge from the computer USB port.

If you do this, do NOT try to power the device on, just plug it in and leave it connected - for at least an hour (longer is better). Then we can disconnect the device from the computer and try the power button thing again.

Also, if the device DOES come on "automatically" when plugged into the computer, just let it sit - to charge - and then we can examine the vehicle power adapter as the source of the issue.

Please let me know if you have such a USB cable and can do this.

P.S. There IS a chance that the internal battery has pick this particular time to fail - and is preventing the device from coming on. But we NEED to do this TESTING first - to find out for sure.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Used the USB cable to plug into the PC. The Garmin came on. I will leave it hooked up for an hour or more to recharge.

Very Good!

OK - if you can, check the fuse - in the tip of the vehicle power adapter. You will need to unscrew the tip of the adapter to get to that fuse.

I'm assuming that you are using the ORIGINAL power adapter, as that is where the fuse is for this type of adapter. Also check that the "center pin" of the adapter plug moves freely in and out - so that it makes good contact with the center of the power socket. I have seen these things get stuck "IN' may times, as they get older.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

NOTE: I will be signing off for the night in about 20 minutes, but if you have further questions, I will respond first thing - when I get back on tomorrow.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the center pin moves freely in and out.

I cannot see how the tip of the adapter I have can be unscrewed??

If the garmine charges up, would it be safe to assume that the problem is in the adapter or possible in the car power outlet?

Hi again,

It could be the adapter (or fuse) OR the power socket in the vehicle - I have seen both many times.

Here is a video that shows one of the main adapter types, and how to get to the fuse.

Click here --> Fuse Video

If it is the power socket in the vehicle, it should have a fuse too. OR, you can find a different vehicle with a KNOWN GOOD power socket and TEST your adapter there.

NOTE: If your adapter cable it plugging into the "Cradle" where you mount the unit in the vehicle, that cradle would also be a suspect. Anything between the power source and the device would be suspect.

Please let me know what you find - when you can.

Have a great night, Greg A.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The video was helpful. I have been successful in getting the fuse out and it looks ok as far as I can tell.

i will check the fuse for the car power outlet in the am.

check back with you later - thanks for your help.