Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  20+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt
23511658

How do I load TMC

How do I load TMC
Category: GPS
Expert:  Joe replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for using justanswer.com, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

One thing I always wish to try and do is let you know if something comes up and I am not able to reply back right away but this is sometimes something I cannot avoid. I will always try to reply back to you right away however please understand that I may be busy answering another customer back and thus it may sometimes take time to reply back to you. As soon as I return I will be sure to reply back to you as soon as I am able to.

TMC as in "The movie channel from showtime"?

Thanks,
Joe
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No, as in the FM traffic channels
Expert:  Joe replied 10 months ago.
Russell,

Thank you for that info, as well nothing in terms of what device this is was mentioned... What is the model number of the device you are using for that?

Thanks,
Joe
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It is a Becker Map Pilot with software version 2.5.23
12//43/00 as fitted to a Mercedes Benz A Class (2013) model
Expert:  Joe replied 10 months ago.
Russell,

I do apologize but since I know nothing about that unit I am going to have to step out of this question. Another expert should hopefully be with you soon.

Thanks,
Joe
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

So this has cost me $36 for no result!

Expert:  Joe replied 10 months ago.
I wish that I were able to help you, because the info was not provided up front I had no way of knowing what the device was and I truly thought I could help you, once you gave model info I knew I could not help.

If you would like I would be happy to leave this on the open list for you in case another expert comes on that can help for the tme being or if you would like to close the question just let me know either way.

Thanks,
Joe
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 10 months ago.
Hello. My name isXXXXX will provide you additional information that might be helfpul. Your deposit is not converted to a payment unless you receive an answer with which you are satisfied and rate accordingly.

There are a couple of caveats with the TMC messages.
To avoid driver distraction as much as possible, only TMC messages that are relevant for your current route within a 50 km radius are read out

Most importantly...
Your Becker MAP PILOT searches for the nearest TMC station automatically. In border areas, you may therefore not receive the TMC messages for the area that you are currently in. In this case, you must select the TMC station manually. For example, if you are in the Strasbourg area, you should select the station Inter 93.7.

If you would like to let me know what area you need the frequency for, I can see if there is one available that you can tune to manually.

SQ10
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have been through this with the dealer and it automatically searches for stations but will not lock on. We have two Toyotas with the same system which work perfectly. We are in the Sydney City Area. I have tested it where the Toyotas are getting the reports and the Becker isn't at the same time. I have been into menu after menu and there is a menu that allows you into the route settings. Everything in this Menu is accessible except TMC. The TMC link is greyed and not accessible.

Thanks
There are only a couple of settings for TMC on this device - it's under a single settings menu - TMC. You have the choice of Automatic, Advanced, or off. If you select advanced, you can tune the station manually. Those are the only settings - and TMC is obviously available in your area. As I mentioned, you can try to manuall tune the channel. You can also try doing a factory reset, but that would clear anything you've put in the device so far. Here are the frequencies that SUNA boradcasts on:
  • Melbourne – 104.3 and 101.1
  • Sydney – 106.5 and 103.2
  • Brisbane – 97.3 and 102.1
  • Gold Coast – 105.7
  • Adelaide – 102.3
  • Perth – 93.7
  • Canberra – 106.3

If you still unable to get it to work, it might indicate a problem with the unit for which the dealer would be responsible. You shouldn't have to do anything special to get this working - especially where you are.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
So there is no subscription service or activation process via the internet I need to complete? Just clutching at straws, I fear you may be correct, no the issue is getting the dealer to accept the fact it is faulty
Expert:  replied 10 months ago.
The data from SUNA is encrypted - but I know for a fact that you get three years of TMC service with your Mercedes. But because of where you are, you should actually get lifetime service just by having the device... in other words - no activation or anying - it comes that way from the factory. From the SUNA website
"SUNA GPS Traffic Updates will not charge you any further costs once you have purchased a device if the service comes “in the box”, or if you have purchased an accessory upgrade"

You probably already know this, but I want to re-inforce - SUNA is specific to AU. But since that's where you are you should be fine. With the rare exception of if you traveled to Germany to pick up your car, which I would love to do some day (if they still offer it). I will give you the link to the SUNA FAQ. With this information, there will not be any question who has the correct information. They are quite impressive in terms of getting information about the service to consumers. With this info, the dealer can't possibly introduce any doubt.
http://brainchamber.com/yourls/hpl7kj

Let me know if you have any questions - or if you need to go to the dealer and they come back at you with something you can't answer. You shouldn't have to be put under any stress about this when you buy a car like this. That's part of why we buy cars like this! Hopefully they won't give you a hard time, but if thye do, I'm here to back you up if you need it - I'll remain available to you... well, at least until your next car purchase - you can reach me any time just by replying.

Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience: 20+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt