Joe
Joe, Technician
Experience:  ASE cert tech for over 12 years, Auto, Marine and Home Electronics professional
20508815

I have a Garmin Nuvi 40. All of a sudden, when i try to enter

I have a Garmin Nuvi 40. All of a sudden, when i try to enter anything, I get a grey screen with "Map data is not available".

Thank you for using justanswer.com, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

One thing I always wish to try and do is let you know if something comes up and I am not able to reply back right away but this is sometimes something I cannot avoid. I will always try to reply back to you right away however please understand that I may be busy answering another customer back and thus it may sometimes take time to reply back to you. As soon as I return I will be sure to reply back to you as soon as I am able to.

Have you tried either of the resets yet?

Thanks,
Joe
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Where are the "resets"?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. Where are the resets?

Carolyn,

In the menu is one soft reset, if that one does not help then you need to preform a hard reset/restore which will wipe all user settings from the device such as poi and addresses but is the only next step: http://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={e377b090-0fa7-11dd-dc9c-000000000000}

This can also be related to missing maps and if the maps cannot be updated then the unit would be required to be sent in for repair, however Garmin will some times not work on older devices as well.

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.

Thanks,

Joe

Bonuses are appreciated. If you feel you need to leave a 1-2 happy face/rating with poor/bad please instead reply back to me via the reply to expert button. The first two rating faces are negative feedback the next three after the first two are positive and only for those 3 do I get a pos rating. If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The deposit you placed when you opened the question is only a deposit you can then click accept or one of the smile faces, but again only if you are satisfied and only when you are ready to do so. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.

Thanks again for using justanswer / pearl.com and have a great day!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do not see anyplace on my Garmin that gives me an option for a "soft" reset, and a reset of any type. There is not a "Menu" option on my Garmin. The only thing I have is under "Settings" and those options are; System; Navigation; Display; Time; Language and Map - and none of them show a "reset" option.

Carolyn,

Settings> Restore> Restore all settings. Check under system.

If that does not work then your next only option other then trying to reload/update maps or contact Garmin is to hard reset: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mujdSP-fM98

Thanks,
Joe