Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience

my GPS is Nuvi 265W with serial 21D602025.cannot charge it

my GPS is Nuvi 265W with serial 21D602025.cannot charge it with the car lighter , eventhough I have changed the car charger cable lighter and checked the lighter everything is working good.
the strange thing is that I can charge it with Direct current from the wall mount.
moreover when I plug it into the computer , the computer cannot read it.
any feedback please
Category: GPS
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 10 months ago.
.
Hello my name isXXXXX look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
This sounds like the port has not yet but is failing, how old is the GPS?
.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

may be 3 years old

.
Darn, the factory warranty only lasts for a year. Did you happen to get an extended warranty? The extended warranty's last 3 years.
.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

no warrenty

.
Darn, I really hate to have to tell you this but from what you are describing you would need a new part. It sounds like the port is failing and it is integrated onto the board. So to replace it you need to replace that entire board. Unfortunately out of warranty this can be more expensive that replacing the unit.

The part alone can cost up to $100 but you can get the same model used for $50 here: Click Here Personally I would recommend replacing it with a used one and save this old one for parts. After a few years they tend to have trouble with the digitizer as well so it would be good to have a spare.

The digitizer is the part that allows the screen to respond to touch.
If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only although I wish I did I have no control over parts failing or anything on this site.
.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

but does it make sense that the port can not work for DC current but can work with AC current , you said it is integrated with a board , so how come this does not happen with AC charging

.
As I said it sounds like it is failing it does not fail all at once, they usually fail intermittently and then altogether it eventually will die and wont take a charge from anything. For now you can use the AC but eventually that is not going to work either. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only although I wish I did I have no control over parts failing or anything on this site.
.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of experience