Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

My Garmin Nuvi 250 W is not recognized by my PC nor by the

My Garmin Nuvi 250 W is not recognized by my PC nor by the GarminExpress software to download/upgrade my maps.
Note that when I fire up my Garmin it tells me no detailed maps found that support routing. etc...
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier.

If you still need help:

May I ask the AGE of your device and WHEN this issue first began?

May I also ask if the device still operates properly, with the exception of the "no detailed maps" message, when NOT connected to any power source? That is, does it still operate on just the internal battery?

Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Greg ,

Thanks for your reply .

Bought the device in April 2008.

The problem began during an upgrade 6 months ago. And no no it doesn't work I get the no maps message with power connected ( with cable ) or internal battery it doesn't make any change.

Thanks.

Francesco.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Francesco and thanks for that information.

What I was really looking for when I ask about "operates properly" is if the device would power on and allow you to get between screens - WITHOUT trying to find any destinations or points of interest.

So if you have the device with you, can you power it ON, and then allow it to go to the MAIN screen? If so, and you see a STOP button, please touch that button (this will stop any route calculation), and then go to the View Map screen.

If there are NO maps active (or enabled) then if you zoom OUT quite a ways, you should see some MAJOR roads on the map. Can you try that for me and let me know if you can see those major roads?

Again, we are NOT trying to find any addresses yet, but just to TEST to see if the device still have basic operational capabilities. If so, we will take the next step - in troubleshooting.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

(im)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Greg ,

The device powers on but I get first the garmin brand on the screen , then the warning message to not operate the deviceduring driving , then immediately the " No detailed maps found that support routing message. Consequently cannot go to the main screen to the STOP button

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,

OK - assuming you are still on that screen, please touch and HOLD your finger on the screen UNTIL the message disappears.

Then tell me what you see on the screen - after the one with the message goes away.
And do NOT do anything else, just let me know what you see.

Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I see the message "searching for satelites and an overview of the European map

By the way Greg, I'm in Europe in Belgium.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again and thanks for that information.

OK - at least we got the device out of the "locked up" state, so that's good.

Next, you MAY want to allow the device to "lock" on the satellites, but that is not really necessary at this point. What I would like you to do is find the "Map Info" screen, and see if there is ANYTHING listed on that page (for a detailed map file), AND if there is a "check mark" next to the file name. Here are the instructions for getting to that screen.

Starting at the MAIN screen:
- Touch Tools
- Touch Settings
- Touch Map
- Touch Map Info (usually a button at the bottom of the screen.

Please check that screen and let me know what you see.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

(im)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Greg,

I see

- Map detail = Normal ,

- Map vieuw = 3D vieuw ,

Vehicle = Change

On the bottom soft keys I see , Back , map info , Restore

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,

Can you touch the Map Info screen and get anything to come up?

Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi ,

Map info screen is not reacting and looks that's not active compared to the

Back ( onthe left side ) and Restore ( on the right side ) that are sharper

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,

OK - that confirms that there is a problem with the device not having any maps installed, and that this was probably a result of the ATTEMPTED update from a few months ago that you mentioned.

So, what MAY happen now is that the device will now respond and will be seen by the PC. I believe this is the case because its is no longer "hung" on that "no detailed maps" message.

BUT, what I would like you to try BEFORE attempting to plug it into the PC is a "master reset". IF there are maps on there and the are just "misplaced" in memory, a master reset should bring them back. But if the update was not successful, then you will need to try the update again. NOTE: Updates can take a LONG TIME - depending on your internet connection speed and computer speed. It is very IMPORTANT to allow enough time for the update to complete AND that the computer NOT have any power saving modes or sleep modes enabled during the process. These modes will often turn OFF the USB ports, and that is not a good thing during updates to a connected device.

The procedure to do a Master Reset is below.

============================
Start with the device OFF and disconnected from power
Touch and HOLD the lower-right portion of the touch screen (not the frame).
Continue to HOLD the screen and switch the device ON.
- After about 30 seconds, you should see a message on the screen about clearing user data. When you see that message, release the touch screen and touch YES.
- The device should now reset.
At this point, the device should be taken outside in a CLEAR area, and allowed to find and lock on to the satellites. This can take up to 15 minutes after a RESET.
==============================

Now after that reset, go back to the Map info screen, and see if you can touch it and get it to display the map file information. If not, then running the update AGAIN would be the next step to recover.

Please let me know what happens with the reset, and if the Map Info button becomes active, or if we need to do the update again.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

(im)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Greg ,

Have Followed your instructions, but unfortunately the map info button is still not active.

What do you recommend as a next step

Thanks

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,

The next step is to try the update again.

Now this assumes that the device will NOW be seen by the computer - when plugged into the USB cable and you WAIT a minute or two (sometimes it takes a bit to be seen by the computer).

NOTE: If you computer does see the device and asks about "fixing" or "scanning" the device, answer NO, or close the box with that message.

If the device is NOT seen by the computer, trying a DIFFERENT USB cable would be the next step.

Please let me know your results or any messages that you may see on your computer.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

(im)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Greg ,

I think I'm gonna give up , I had connected the device to a power supply since the battery was flat and by disconnecting it from the power supply in order to connect it to the USB cable it doesn't come on anymore .
perhaps there is afuse blown inside (if present ) otherwise i guess it's for the garbage bag.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Please don't consider the garbage for your device - it may just need to have some time to charge up. You should be able to do that by connecting the device to a powered ON computer and leaving it attached for 5-6 hours (it takes that long because of the limited power from computer USB ports).

And YES, there should be a fuse in the TIP of the vehicle power adapter, if that is what you are using. You should be able to unscrew the tip to find that fuse.

So please check back with me AFTER you have checked these things, and hopefully get the device charged back up again.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

(im)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Greg ,

I've checked the fuse of the power adapter it was OK

Since it was fully charged when i disconnected it from the power suppluy something went wrong .Don't wanna even try to connext it to the USB since it could damage the USB port in case theer is a shor circuit in the device. This is a good example of Murphy's law and after spending many hours to fix the problem I'm fed up .

Thanks for your help , it was going in the right direction if there wasn't Murphy .

Best regards.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,

You could be right as I just reviewed one of the earlier bits of information and seeing that the device was purchased in 2008. So at 5 years old, the internal battery could have gone flat, and it would need to be replaced for the device to continue to operate properly.

Now you CAN get replacement batteries for these devices online, if you think you can replace it yourself and save a bit of money doing that. BUT if you really need a functional unit quickly, the best choice at this point may be to simply replace the unit with a newer model. I say this because these device has dropped dramatically in price since 2008, and many of the current models come with lifetime map updates.

Please let me know what you decide or if you have more questions.

Best of luck, Greg A.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Greg ,

I'm going to buy a new one , that's the best solution.

Thanks again for your help.

Francesco.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
You are quite welcome.

That sounds like the best choice to me too.

Please let me know if you have any more questions in the future.

And please take a moment to rate my service level (Excellent is my goal), so that I get credit for helping you.

Take Care, Greg A.

(im)
Greg A., Engineer
Experience: Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years