Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years

I own a Garmin Nuvi 1450, Serial No. 1TA109583. I recently

I own a Garmin Nuvi 1450, Serial No. 1TA109583. I recently purchased the life time map updates. I started downloading the US northeast map and after a period of time it stopped downloading as it was out of memory. What do I do? Do I have to install larger memory? If so, what are the instructions? Help!!

Ron Forsyth
Willow, Alaska
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of the issue you are having with your GPS.

One of the things I ALWAYS recommend is to expand the memory of your device to a large enough size to be able to hold any maps that you plan on using in the next year or so. Now assuming you purchased the maps for North America, then that would mean that a microSD card of either 4GB or 8GB capacity would be in order. This is because the North America maps are currently about 2GB in size, and as they grow over time, a 4GB or 8GB card should be able to keep up with that growth.

NOTE: The largest "official" capacity that Nuvi devices can use is 8GB.

Now if you already have a microSD card of those sizes that you can use, you will want to make sure it is formatted as "FAT32", so that it will be compatible with the Nuvi and you will be able to access the card through the device.
I also just did a quick search of your geographic area, and it looks like Willow is pretty far out - distance wise - from major retail stores, and I don't know how deliveries would be for your area, but you MAY be able to get one of these cards via Amazon or other online shopping site. Here is a link to a list on Amazon - if you need it. >> Click Here <<

Now once you have that card, I would recommend that in install it and VERIFY that your computer can "see" the SD card IN the Nuvi via the USB cable (it should look like a "removable storage device). Once that is done, I would recommend installing ALL of the North America maps ON THAT CARD (select the SD card as the "destination" of the map).

Depending on the speed of your internet connection and your computer, this download and installation could take a LONG TIME, and it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that any "power saving" modes on the computer be turned OFF. This is so that the download and installation is NOT interrupted, otherwise you will need to start again. I know that can be frustrating, so please make sure you have the HIGHEST SPEED internet connection you can during this process.

One other IMPORTANT NOTE: At the very end of the process, I find that it is always best to WAIT an extra minute or so AFTER the program says the download and installation is complete. AND then to always use the "safe removal" method for the Nuvi BEFORE actually disconnecting the USB cable. This ensures that the data is fully written to the device (or SD card), and the data is not corrupted.

I hope this helps explain things a bit more. Please let me know your progress or REPLY if you have more questions. I'm here almost every day to help.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Good information. Now I need to know how to open up my Nuvi to replace the micro SD card. Is there any publications I can download that will have photos with the description? I am a retired engineer and have the mechanical, electrical aptitude so I am not worried about doing it.

Hi again and sorry for the delay.

Let me send you the electronic (PDF) manual for your device, and you can take a look there at where to install the microSD card. These cards are really easy to install and remove, as they just slide in the TINY slot on the edge of the Nuvi, and then you press on them to "eject" the card a little bit, then just pull it out.

Click here --> Manual

I also have a link to a video that shows a microSD card being inserted (for Europe maps - so just ignore that), and at the end of the video it shows how to remove it. But there are also a few other "tips" about how to check the map version and make sure the map is "enabled" that might be helpful too.

Click Here --> Video

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have more questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have rated you with "excellent service". Hopefully that has shown up somewhere in your records.

Hi Ron,

I do see that you rated and I have a record of that. Thank you for checking back with me.

Please let us know if you have any more questions in the future. There is almost always someone here that can help.

Thanks again, Greg A.