Carl L
Carl L, Master Technician
Experience:  Current Electronics Shop Owner and Master Technician in FL.

My Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx fell to the street and stopped workin

My Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx fell to the street today, and it stopped working. The screen glows with light, but nothing appears on it!

Pressing the buttons "feels like" it's working ok in the background, but just unable to show it on screen (like zooming the map in as far as it goes, then comes the beep).

Hi and welcome to Just Answer, a Question and Answer Company. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.
**Please keep in mind that you are paying for my services rendered to you, not whether or not the Answer is 'likable'.

There's two parts to the screen; The backlight and the screen itself that creates a picture. Whenever the screen cracks, the gas that normally ignites to create a picture leaks out and all that you're left with is the backlight. Since the screen is cracked, the only way to resolve this issue is to either replace the screen or purchase a new gps device.

Please be sure to rate me Excellent.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Carl, Thanks for your response! I find no visible crack in the screen! And when I press the power button, I can adjust the screen brightness as normal, but there's just no image indicating what's happening!

Best regards,

Normally when they crack from a drop, it's on the other side of the glass in one of the corners. It's really hard to see but it's probably a hairline crack as we call it.

If you are handy with taking things apart, you can take it apart and see if the Cable going to the screen is still intact. Vibration from a drop can sometimes knock them loose.