Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years

How do I adjust temp setting?

How do I adjust temp setting?
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

May I ask the Make & Model Number of the device you are working with?

May I also ask the AGE of the device and HOW LONG you have owned this device?

Thanks
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Garmin GPSMAP 3206/3210. Color chart plotter , Owned for 2 years. New when I bought it.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.
Hi again,

Sorry for the delay - I had a bit of an "emergency" to take care of.

OK - may I ask if you still have the detailed manual for this unit? I only ask in case I need to make a reference to it OR perhaps send you an electronic copy for you to use.

Thanks
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes I do and it it's online as well.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.
Hi again and thanks for that information.

OK - I am looking at the full manual now, and on page 59, I see the "Sonar Alarms" section that mentions the "water temperature" alarms. I am assuming that you are wanting to adjust the settings for that feature (water temperature alarms).

Do you have that same information in the manual you have AND do you have that same "screen" on your unit?

Thanks

(im)
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes I have page 59. That is not what I need. My temp setting is off by 20 degrees cold . I need to change it to the correct temperature . I need to no when the temp changes and has the correct setting. It is important to be able to fine fish in SOCAL. I need to adjust the temp setting not a alarm.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Going to bed now . Will have to follow up in the morning.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.

Sorry for the delay.

If you have been seeing a temperature CHANGE since this unit was new (or perhaps since the last season), to indicate that the temperature is OFF by 20 degrees, then that would be an indication that you have a failing component in your system.

That is, the temperature sensor element (in your sonar module/transducer?) may be failing, OR there could be a wiring issue somewhere in the system. If that is the case, then someone will need to troubleshoot the system and find the bad component and replace it or have it replaced.

These systems assume that there are working components to feed valid (correct) information for display, and there is no calibration or offset that allows you to "correct" for failing components. The only "calibration" available on these systems is for water speed.

Now you MAY be able to purchase a separate water temperature probe and install that - in place of a failing component, depending on the sonar module you are using.

I understand that this may not be the answer that you wanted to hear, but I will only give an honest answer. I hope you understand.

Please let me know what you find or if you have more questions.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

(im)
Greg A., Engineer
Experience: Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years