Andy, Elec. Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp. MS Elec Engg, Design Engineer.

Hi I have a Garmin Edge 800 but when I power on all I get is

Hi I have a Garmin Edge 800 but when I power on all I get is a kind of test screen showing 'Start' and an arrow. If I press the arrow it takes me through a series of screens of different colours and patterns and a frequency test screen How do I reset to get my normal screens back?
I am Andy and I will be glad to help you out with your issue today. Please Reply to me with doubts / questions till you are 100% satisfied.

When did you buy this gps and since when are you facing this issue

Did it happen after you tried to do an update, etc

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I bought the GPS about 18 months ago and have been using it frequently. This issue only arose today. The power was low so charged it up and when I turned it on it came on with the 'test screen' I didnt try to do any update or anything like that

Please do this and let me know result via the REPLY TO EXPERT button.

Please do a master reset and let me know result.

*Master resetting the device will erase all history in the device and reset the device to factory default.

To master reset your device:

1. Power the device OFF

2. Press and hold on the top-left corner of the display

3. Power the device back on while continue to press on the display

4. Press on Yes when the Reset device settings to factory defaults? message appears

The Edge 800 is now reset. Place the device outside with a clear view of the sky for a minimum of 20 minutes to acquire satellites

Let me know result via the REPLY TO EXPERT button.

If this helped, please go ahead and RATE this answer with SMILEY face (GOOD / EXCELLENT) so that I get credited for my answer through this website.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Andy however it didnt work. The Reset to Factory default screen appears briefly then the screen goes a bit darker and then it switches to the test screen

Thank you for your response.

As per the symptoms its a hardware failure and the unit needs to be repaired by Garmin.

So you will have to send it to Garmin and they will charge you a flat rate to repair the unit for you.

Please click here : LINK on instructions about how to send it for repair.

I am very sorry for giving you bad news, but unfortunately this is the only honest answer.

Let me know if you need further information via the REPLY TO EXPERT button

Please go ahead and RATE this answer with (Good / Excellent) SMILEY face so that I get credited for my answer from this website.

Thanks and take care!