KKassel
KKassel, Technician
Experience:  FIXING AND INSTALLING GPS SYTEMS FOR 5 YEARS
44029509

I have a garmin nuvi 50lm and have downloaded a new map (my

Customer Question

I have a garmin nuvi 50lm and have downloaded a new map (my device is pre-loaded with US map and I downloaded the Canada map) to a micro sd card (when connected to my computer I see the map). My device however isn't showing the new map when I go to map info - how can I get the device to read the memory card so I can use the Canada map?
Category: GPS
Expert:  Engineer John C. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am John C., Computer Science Engineer. I enjoy solving computer, printer and networking issues, so I will be very happy and will do my best to help you.

What Operative System version do you have ? (Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X, etc?)

Thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My computer OS is Windows 7

Please download the Garmin Communicator Plugin from here -----> http://www8.garmin.com/products/communicator/ <===== CLICK HERE

Click "Install"

Download and install it.

Then click here to go to "myDashboard" and update your device from there, click here -----> https://my.garmin.com/gcpInstall/checkPlugin.htm?target=https://my.garmin.com/mygarmin/dashboard/dashboardScanDevice.htm

Make sure the GPS is connected to your computer with its USB cable and turned ON.

If it works, please come back here and leave me a positive feedback. I get paid by justanswer.com only when you leave me a good rating. You will NOT be charged twice.

If you don't come back, I won't be paid by justanswer.com at all.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The device still isn't reading the map that's been downloaded from the Garmin website to the memory card. However when the GPS device is connected with the USB and memory card in the unit - I can see the downloaded files.

What's the size of the SD card? It should be 8GB maximum.

Please click the "Reply to expert" button below to let me know.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It's an 8GB card.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It's an 8 GB card and when loaded into the Garmin it's still not displaying when I look for it. However I can see the files when attached to the computer with the USB card

What files are inside the card? You should use a blank memory card.

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Only files in the card are what was downloaded from the Garmin website when I purchased the Map pack

OK. I will opt out so any other expert can try to help you. You will receive an email when another expert takes your question. The new expert will see all our previous thread, so no need to explain the issue again.

Thank you
Expert:  KKassel replied 4 years ago.
Ok you need to go into settings and then map then map info and select the map
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The map doesn't appear there - it only shows the map for the US as an option - not the map for Canada which I downloaded to the memory card

Expert:  KKassel replied 4 years ago.
But you can read it on the card plugged into computer
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes - when the card is plugged into the computer I can see the downloaded file on the card

Expert:  KKassel replied 4 years ago.
Once the SD Card has been inserted into the device, first make sure that the maps are recognized and enabled. To do this, please follow the steps below:

Touch Tools (some devices skip this step)
Touch Settings
Touch Map or Map & Vehicle
Touch Map Info or myMaps
This page lists the maps that the device is currently using. You should see the title of your mapping software on this page. Some devices may display check marks next to mapping that is enabled. If the check box is empty, touch it to enable the maps.

To view the maps without searching for a location, please follow these steps:

Touch View Map
Touch the map to view the full map
Zoom out to view a larger area by touching the minus (-) button
Drag your finger across the screen to pan around the map
Some devices require that you use the directional arrows instead of dragging your finger
Continue moving the map to the desired coverage area
Touch on the plus (+) sign until you can see the street level detail
You will now be able to view the mapping covered by the pre-programmed SD card.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Although I'm able to see cities in Canada when using the View Map option - my device won't allow me to select Canada as an option when picking a Country when I go to enter an address and try to change the Country from that screen. Also - the only map pack showing when I go to Map Info is the one that was pre-loaded with the device which is the US map pack (lower 49 states) - I still see no option for the Canada maps on the memory card.

Expert:  KKassel replied 4 years ago.
OK, unclick the other map on the internal device thats why, your using 2 maps