Sijad H.
Sijad H., Technician
Experience:  5+ years repairing various GPS models.

My Garmin Nuvi 660 has recently lost speaker sound but I can

My Garmin Nuvi 660 has recently lost speaker sound but I can hear tones and voise instructions via a head phone jack. Can I restore the lost speaker sounds? Thank you.
Hi and thank you for your question. I will be happy to assist you.

When were your speakers last working? Did you notice anything unusual?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Last working about one week ago when last used. When switched on more recently no "key" tones at security code entry and no verbal instructions over speaker but can hear on ear phone jack. Nothing unusual noted at the time.

Ok, if the sound is working through the head jacks but not through the speaker then chance are the speaker is blown and no longer works. We can try updating the units firmware to see if that will help.

Connect your device to your computer and download Garmin Webupdater. It can be downloaded by clicking here. Once you have it downloaded and installed, run the program. Click next on the first screen, on the second one it will automatically detect your unit. Once your unit is detected click next. Then follow the on screen instructions for the updates. After the initial update, it will also tell you there are additional updates, select any additional updates you wish to install and click next. Once the updates are complete, unplug your unit and allow it to restart.

Give that a try and let me know if it restores your speaker sound.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

As requested I re-loaded the latest software and re-loaded the English speaking voice. Still no sounds from speaker.

Alright, I am sorry but it sounds like your speaker has failed. If you are tech savvy you can get a replacement speaker on ebay and I can give you a video on opening your unit up. Garmin no longer supports your unit as it is outdated. Another option is if you are interested in another I can recommend you one based on your specification.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay, as I suspected, speaker has failed. Never mind I can operate for now with the ear phone jack. Thanks for your assistance.

No a problem. Please take a moment to rate my service. Have a wonderful labor day weekend!