Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

plugged my garmin nuvi in today & get a line saying press dot

Customer Question

plugged my garmin nuvi in today & get a line saying press dot which keeps moving. that's it.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer. Sorry to hear of the issue you are having with your GPS.

Can you tell me the Model Number of your Nuvi?

Can you also tell me the AGE of the unit and when this issue first began?

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Nuvi 50 LM
Received it as a gift for Christmas, 2011

Used it on Aug 18th 7& it worked fine. Plugged it in yesterday 8/23 and now all I get is a line across the screen and press dot message both of which jump around the screen. I have unplugged it and plugged it in again several times and continue to get only this line

Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,

Can you tell me if these dots are jumping around the screen on their own, or only when you touch them?

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

line going top to bottom intersecting line going side to side - dot at intersect, says "press dot". It moves when you press dot

Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,

OK - as long as it is not jumping around on its own, the unit should be OK. What it has done is gone into a screen recalibration mode, which often happens if the unit is allowed to discharge or has not been used for some time.

I have the instructions below for how to start the calibration manually, and if you follow the procedure to CAREFULLY and ACCURATELY touch the dots, the calibration should end after several dot touches. If you have a stylus, try to use that to touch the center of the does, as this is much more accurate then just using a finger, and it will complete more quickly.

===============================
  1. Start with the device turned off and disconnected from power
  2. Press and hold the top left corner of the touchscreen
  3. Power the device on while continuing to apply light pressure to the screen
  4. Release the touchscreen once the screen displays "Press dot"
  5. Accurately touch the center of the dots that appear on the screen
    • The dots will change location
    • A stylus or pencil eraser may be used to accurately touch the dots
  6. Touch OK when "Calibration Complete" appears

The touchscreen is now calibrated. Repeat the steps above as needed.

=================================

Please give that a try and let me know your results.

Thanks, Greg A.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did as yousaid but now I have no data on it

Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,

OK - can you tell me a little bit more about what you are seeing? Remember, I can not see or hear what is happening on your end.

Was the calibration successful, and now you see another screen?

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It said cALIBRATION WAS A SUCCESS. Screen says Where to/view map etc I press WHere to and next screen says Address, Go Home etc. I press ADDRESS It responds Map data not available,I hit ok and hit recently found - No data avaiable. hitpoints of interest and they all respond no data available

Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,

OK - let's try a "soft reset" first, then we will move on to more drastic steps if needed.

Start with the device OFF, then press and hold the power button in the ON position for 30 seconds. You may see the screen flash during this holding of the button, but that is OK.

After the 30 seconds, release the button and allow the unit to come on.

Then turn the unit OFF and back ON again, and then check your screens again to see if the map information is back. You only need to check one of the screens, not all.

Please let me know your results.

Thanks, Greg A.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

says cannot unlock maps

Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
OK - we are getting closer, but now it gets a bit more detailed.

I was going to ask if you had registered your unit and updated the software on a regular basis, but instead, I have a link to a detailed article about how to proceed if you see the messages that you are seeing now - about no map data available and not being able to unlock the maps. Please click the link below and take the time to follow those instructions. It may very well involve connecting the unit to your computer and doing a update, and that can take some time - perhaps 20 minutes or more, or even longer if you do a map update.

No map data found steps <<-- Click Here

Please give those steps a try and let me know your results - when you can.

==================================================
If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Please only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided. IF you feel the need to rate less than a 3-5 level, please stop. Instead, please reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION or REPLY link/button with any further issues you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Thanks, Greg A.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have no idea where the micro SD card is. This is getting far too technical for me.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,

You may not have a microSD card installed in your unit. If you received it as a gift, then that is probably the case (no SD card).

Can you tell me where you are in the instructions?

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can't unlock maps came up

Instructions then said to take out the micro sd card. As I said --I have no idea what this means.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,

Sorry for the delay.

OK - if you don't have a microSD card - and I don't think you do, then just continue to follow the instructions that are next. In this case, I believe is says:
- follow the instructions below for "Retrieving Your Unlock Codes"
- followed by the instructions for "Creating an Unlock File

So just jump to those instructions and continue there.

I know that this looks a bit technical, but it really is not that - it is just a "step-by-step" - with quite a few steps.

Please take your time and let me know the results

Thanks, Greg A.

(im)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Got my maps tab it says Download history /manage maps What next???

Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,

So you have your device connected to the computer via the USB cable - is that correct?

If so, are you in the section of the instructions that say "retrieving your unlock codes"? If so, then I believe you are at step 2, and need to move on to step 3, and then of course step 4.

Please let me know where you are at.

thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have no idea what this is all about. I am totally frustrated. Thinking seriously about driving & getting lost or better yet buying a TomTom or a Magellan. Thought my $30 inv estment would get my Garmin fixed, but it's not --not worth it

Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,

Sorry for the delay.

I understand that this can be a bit technical in nature, and therefore a bit frustrating.

Do you have a friend or neighbor that can help you with the steps that we are trying to do?

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No I don't. I'm a plug in and go kind of senior citizen. I have no experience or patience with this type of stuff. I just want it fixed the sooner the better.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,

OK - if we want to get this thing working, we need to communicate back and forth effectively - so that we can reach that goal.

So we were last at step 3 of the "retrieving your unlock codes" process - I believe.

Is that correct?

I also asked if the unit was connected to your computer via the USB cable?
Is that correct?

If you need to take a break - I fully understand, and we can continue at almost any time you want. I know that I myself often have to take a break and then come back later a pick up the process.

Please let me know how you would like to proceed.

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

garmin is plugged in and shows a pix of garmin plugged into computer

Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,

OK - I am assuming that means you are ready to continue.

Now let me verify that we are in the middle of trying to get the unlock codes for the unit.

Has that been done yet? Did you log into your Garmin account?

I am thinking that it may be better (and easier) to just do a Map update, as that should get the unlock codes onto the unit automatically when you do the update.

What do you think?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I clicked on my maps tab as per instructions - next screensays Download history and manage maps. I don't think we're on the same page

Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,

OK -
please click on the Manage Maps link, and see if you can get the latest version.

Now this MAY take some time, as the map updates can be quite large. And if you do not have a very fast internet connection, it can actually take an hour or two to transfer the new map data to your computer.

But you should NOT have to sit there and watch, but just come back every 20-30 minutes and check that the transfer is still progressing and not stopped.

Also, make sure the computer is NOT in a power saving mode, as that can turn off the USB port of the computer. If you can tell me what type of computer operating system you have (such as Windows XP, Vista, etc.), I can tell you how to check the power settings and make sure they are correct.

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

8 notes ago at 12:28 you told me to click on no maps data found steps
Since then I am lost as I am not getting the same info u r

Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,

OK - I can not see what is on your GPS screen OR your computer screen, so I was just taking the information you sent me and finding it in my instructions.

So let's back up and have you tell me EXACTLY where you are - on your computer screen.

Are you connected to the Garmin site?

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

can u call me as I find all this back & forth very tedious. I clicked on the line u told me to. and have had no luck since then. XXXXXXXXXX /p>

Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,

Unfortunately, we are not allowed to contact you via phone from this site, as that may compromise your personal information.

What I can do is give you the contact number of customer support so that you can reach them directly, and it is a toll free call. There is usually a wait to connect with a person, but it may be the best steps you can take right now.

Garmin Customer Support
Monday-Thursday: 8 AM-6 PM,
Friday 8 AM-5 PM Central Time
(closed holidays)

Phone:
U.S.: 1-800-800-1020 or 913-397-8200
Canada: 1-866-429-9296

At the support line, everything is private, so there is no concern there.

Please let me know your results.

Thanks, Greg A.