molurch
molurch, Customer Service
Experience:  Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years. R/S, etc.

My garmin keeps shutting off.

Customer Question

My garmin keeps shutting off.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome, my name isXXXXX'm sorry to hear about your problem.

Please take your time with these steps and click Reply to Expert if you still need help, there is no extra charge and we will continue or try another solution if available:

The battery may not be charging properly. Please try plugging the GPS into another car charger to see if it charges properly there, you may have blown fuse in your car charger. Alternatively, you can also try testing with another charger cable or replacing the fuse on it:

Unscrew the black, round end piece on the end of the charger plug, and remove the fuse, which should be a silver cylinder. Replace it with a 3A fast blow fuse, making sure the silver tip is securly positioned in the black end piece which you screw back on.

Finally, you can try connecting your GPS to your computer with a USB cable (one should have come with the unit, but if you don't have these you can get them at any nearby computer/electronic store). You will need one that has a type A and mini B connector as shown below:

Let it charge for 8 hours while the computer is on, then see if the GPS will power on and if that fixes it. You should have some indication that it is charging and connected, either by a charging light if available, or on the main screen. If not, make sure the usb cable is securely connected to the device and try another USB port on the computer.

Feel free to ask for clarification on anything. If you are satisfied, please remember to Rate my answer so I am credited.

Thank you,
Bernie K.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will try what you suggest.
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Donna, please keep me posted. To make sure you can return to me and not anyone else or a new session, please favorite or bookmark this page, or you can check your emails from JustAnswer with my picture, in them will be a link to return to this exact page.

If it helps, please don't forget to rate the answer and I will be credited for helping you. If not, please reply back to the page first and we'll continue asap.

Thanks,
Bernie
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Hi Donna,

I just wanted to follow up and see how the GPS is doing. Were you able to use my steps to resolve your issue? I'd love to know and of course if you still need any further help or info we can continue as well.

Thank you,
Bernie
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I changed out the charger fuse and it still doesn't work. I believe the problem is in the car charger socket.
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for updating me, that is definitely possible as I listed in my original answer, have you tried another car socket yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I haven't figured out how to remove the socket to look at it.
Expert:  Bernie replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry for the confusion Donna, but you don't want to remove the socket from the car. What I meant was, have you tried plugging your GPS into a socket in a different car and see if it stays on there? Can you let me know the results of that.

Thank you,
Bernie

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it charges ok on my computer. The problem is not in the gps charger but in the car charger socket since the fuse is ok. I still have to figure out how to get to the socket.
Expert:  Bernie replied 1 year ago.
Donna have you tried another car?

We know it's not the charging cable at this point, but I want to completely rule out if it is a problem with the particular charging port in your car.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I only have one charging port so I know that's where the problem is. The fuse is ok so it has to be in the socket. None of my chargers work in this port. Can you tell me how to remove the socket? I have a 2003 camry.
Expert:  Bernie replied 1 year ago.
Does the cigarette lighter heat up at all? You probably just need to replace the fuse in the car.

Please refer to your car manual, the fuse box should be on the driver side dash of your Camry. It's referred to as the junction box on this diagram:

Once you get to the junction box, find the fuse labeled CIG 15A. Is that fuse burnt out? Can you please let me know:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Bernie,

I told you the cig fuse is ok so I know it's in the socket itself. I asked if you knew how to get the socket out so I can fix it or replace it.

Expert:  Bernie replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry Donna, I thought you meant that you had already replaced the fuse for the charger cable, and not the car. To get you the best service I will open your question to all other experts again. Please remember:

1. Any new experts can review our entire thread, so there is no need to explain your issue again unless they specifically ask for more information.

2. You will receive an email notificiation if another expert posts to this page. Sometimes this can happen quickly, and sometimes it may take much longer to find the right expert...so thank you for your patience.

3. Since I did not solve the issue, please, do not rate any of my previous answers as that prevent other experts from continuing with you. If another expert solves your issue, please rate them instead.

Or if you no longer wish to continue or wait for another expert, please let me know.

Thank you,
Bernie K.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am still waiting for someone to tell me how to remove the socket from the car so it can be repaired or replaced.

Bernie - you helped me rule out the fuse issue with the charger and the car fuses which I appreciate.

Expert:  molurch replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for using J/A / Pearl
My answer is below.

Please understand, the site makes me post the following:

"Please only rate my answer if you are satisfied with the service I have provided.
If you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have, because this will result in a negative mark on my feedback record.
I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.
Instead, please simply reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT link with the issue you have.
I am happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek."
My answer may not be to your liking, but is a correct & honest answer.
Many times the only fix will be by Dealer or Shop, so please do not hold that against me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

very sorry for the delay, as the question had to go to Toyota for the answer.......

here is Toyota procedure

graphic

graphic

Please Rate above Expert Bernie K. ....... if this helped, as he has given the most info.......thank you

molurch, Customer Service
Experience: Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years. R/S, etc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you very much. This is what I needed to know.
Expert:  molurch replied 1 year ago.

THANK YOU

Thanks for using J/a

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It turns out that after finally getting the socket removed and everything checked, I rechecked the fuse box. It turns out there is a second fuse used for this socket and it was blown. A very simple fix but it certainly wasn't easy to find as it's labled " Assy Point". I guess I should have checked it after checking the one labled "cig" since it is also a 15 amp.

I appreciate the information both of you gave me. You did your best with the information I provided you. You couldn't be expected to know there were 2 fuses.

Expert:  molurch replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the update, as we seldom get responses & findings..........

Toyota Service Manual does not show the " Assy Point" as part of that circuit
see diagram

very sorry for the problems

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

THANK YOU

Thanks for using J / a