molurch, Customer Service
Experience:  Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years. R/S, etc.

Garmin GPS keeps turning off

My Garmin keeps shutting off.

The battery may not be charging properly. Please try plugging the GPS into another car charger to see if it charges properly there, you may have blown fuse in your car charger. Alternatively, you can also try testing with another charger cable or replacing the fuse on it:

Unscrew the black, round end piece on the end of the charger plug, and remove the fuse, which should be a silver cylinder. Replace it with a 3A fast blow fuse, making sure the silver tip is securely positioned in the black end piece which you screw back on.

Finally, you can try connecting your GPS to your computer with a USB cable (one should have come with the unit, but if you don't have these you can get them at any nearby computer/electronic store). You will need one that has a type A and mini B connector as shown below:

Let it charge for 8 hours while the computer is on, then see if the GPS will power on and if that fixes it. You should have some indication that it is charging and connected, either by a charging light if available, or on the main screen. If not, make sure the USB cable is securely connected to the device and try another USB port on the computer.

I just wanted to follow up and see how the GPS is doing. Were you able to use my steps to resolve your issue?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I changed out the charger fuse and it still doesn't work. I believe the problem is in the car charger socket.

That is definitely possible, have you tried another car socket yet?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, I haven't figured out how to remove the socket to look at it.

You don't want to remove the socket from the car. What I meant was have you tried plugging your GPS into a socket in a different car and see if it stays on there? Can you let me know the results of that?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, it charges ok on my computer. The problem is not in the GPS charger but in the car charger socket since the fuse is ok. I still have to figure out how to get to the socket.

Have you tried another car?

We know it's not the charging cable at this point, but I want to completely rule out if it is a problem with the particular charging port in your car.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I only have one charging port so I know that's where the problem is. The fuse is ok so it has to be in the socket. None of my chargers work in this port. Can you tell me how to remove the socket? I have a 2003 Camry.

Does the cigarette lighter heat up at all? You probably just need to replace the fuse in the car.

Please refer to your car manual, the fuse box should be on the driver side dash of your Camry. It's referred to as the junction box on this diagram:

Once you get to the junction box, find the fuse labeled CIG 15A. Is that fuse burnt out? Can you please let me know?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The cig fuse is OK so I know it's in the socket itself. Do you know how to get the socket out so I can fix it or replace it?

Here is the Toyota procedure.

molurch, Customer Service
Experience: Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years. R/S, etc.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This is what I needed to know.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It turns out that after finally getting the socket removed and everything checked. I rechecked the fuse box. It turns out there is a second fuse used for this socket and it was blown. A very simple fix but it certainly wasn't easy to find as its labeled “Assay Point". I guess I should have checked it after checking the one labeled "cig" since it is also a 15 amp.

Toyota Service Manual does not show the "Assay Point" as part of that circuit
see diagram.