Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years

how do I register my new Garmin nuvi 50lm?

Customer Question

Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 years ago.
Hello & Welcome,

Can you tell me how long you have owned this unit and when this issue first began?

Can you also tell me the EXACT message that you are seeing, and what computer "browser" you are using (Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc.)?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Bought my new Garmin nuvi 50lm about 2 hours ago to replace the old Garmin. I am using my MacBook.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 years ago.
Hi again,

OK - can you tell me the EXACT error message you are seeing?

I assume that you had your older unit connected to the computer in the past, and that setup worked - is this correct?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I opened the box & took out the Garmin. Then turned it on. Message said "Register Your Product". "to learn about features, updates & special offers for your device, go to" Which is what I did. It showed several different devices. I clicked on "automotive". I clicked on "register" & the message came up: outofDatePluginException

My old Garmin is a nuvi205w model # XXXXX I never connected it to my computer.

All I want to do is register my new Garmin nuvi50LM so I can get the free lifetime map updates as advertised and for which I paid $139 + tax for about 3 hours ago.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 years ago.
Hi again,

OK - the "outofDatePluginException" is what I was looking for.

First of all, you need to know that you do NOT have to register the unit right away to have it operate. About all that is needed is that you allow it to charge up and then let the unit find the satellite signals so that it can find its location, and plot it on the map. Registration can happen at almost any time after it is purchased, and the initial screen message you saw was simply an "encouragement" to get you to register.

OK - with all that said, the "out of date' plugin message should be able to be "fixed" by visiting the page I have linked below. This is the Garmin Communicator Plugin "test page" that will show if the plugin is up to date (or not). You should also have the chance to update the plugin on that page by simply clicking a link that appears.

What you should see is the version number of the plugin, and a green circle with a "check mark" inside - if the plugin is up to date.

Garmin Communicator Plugin <-- Click Here

I just checked my plugin on that page, and it says version, but it also says that it needs to be updated. I am using the Firefox browser, so you may get something different. But again, what you are looking for is a green circle with a check mark, and a message that says your plugin is current.

By the way, you do NOT have to plug the unit into the computer to test (or update) the plugin. Just visit that page and let me know what you see and if you can get the updated version. If so, then try to register your unit again - AFTER you see that green circle.

This is only the FIRST STEP in troubleshooting this issue, and there may be more steps we can try. So please DO NOT rate this answer unless this fixes the issue and you are 100% satisfied with the answer. Instead use the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION links to respond with your results.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No green circle
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 years ago.
Hi again,

OK - then look for the link on that page to get the current version installed and do that. That is the objective at this point, so that you can do the registration. You MAY have to restart your browser to get a successful installation (I had to do that) and the green circle or text that says the plugin is up to date.

Please give that a try and let me know your results.

P.S. I have to run an errand, but will check back on you when I come back.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I give up. Will not register Garmin nuvi50LM. This is BS. Nothing works for registration.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 years ago.
Hi again,

I noticed that you rate my answer as "bad service", which is a negative mark for me.

What more information can I give you that will help change that?

Once again, you are rating my service in trying to help you, and not your device or the fact that you are having trouble with it.