Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

HOW DO I TRANSFER ALL MY SAVED LOCATIONS FROM MY NUVI TO MY

HOW DO I TRANSFER ALL MY SAVED LOCATIONS FROM MY NUVI TO MY NEW 1450LM
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & Welcome,

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier.

Can you tell me the model number of your OLD nuvi?

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
200W
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,

OK - the key file you will be looking for is names "current.gpx". This is the file within most Garmin GPS units that holds the "saved favorites" on each system. So the objective will be to COPY that file from the 200W and put it on your computer (desktop). Then you will want to change the name of that file ("current1.gpx" is good), and then COPY it to the appropriate location on the 1450. That is the only tricky part, which is finding the appropriate location (folder). Once that is done, then you can reboot the 1450 and it will find and add that file to the "current.gpx" file information that is already on the 1450, and you will have all your saved favorites on the new device.

So that is the "big picture". Here are the detailed instructions to do that, but it is called "backup" and "restore" in the instructions.

Backup (& restore) of favorites:
==================================

Most Garmin devices allow you the ability to backup the locations saved in the Favorites menu on the device.

To backup the Favorites from the Garmin device:

Instructions for a PC:

1. Connect the Garmin device to a computer using a data transfer USB cable.
  2. Double-click on My Computer or Computer.
  3. Right-click on the Garmin device drive and select Open.
  4. Locate and double-click the GPX Folder.
    • Some devices require you to open the folder named "Garmin" or "Internal Storage" first, then the GPX Folder.
  5. Right-click and copy the Current.gpx file.
  6. Locate your computer's Desktop.
  7. Right-click and select Paste to save the Current.gpx file onto your Desktop.

To send the file back (restore) to the GPS, please follow the steps below:

1. Right-click on the Current.gpx file on your Desktop and select Rename.
  2. Name the file Current1.gpx and then press Enter.
  3. Right-click on the Current1.gpx file and select Copy.
  4. Connect your device to your computer.
  5. Double-click on My Computer or Computer.
  6. Right-click on the Garmin device drive and select Open.
  7. Locate and double-click the GPX Folder.
  8. Right-click and select Paste.
  9. Disconnect your device from your computer and allow it to boot up. Some devices do not automatically boot up. If your device does not automatically boot up, turn the device on as normal.

Your favorites will now be restored on your device. To transfer the saved Favorites from one mass storage device to another, connect the new device to the computer in Step 4 and then follow the remainder of the steps.

Instructions for a Mac:

1. Connect the Garmin device to the Mac using a data transfer USB cable.
  2. Double-click on the Garmin device when you see it mounted to the Desktop.
  3. Locate and double-click the GPX Folder.
    • Some devices require you to open the folder named "Garmin" first, then the GPX Folder.
  4. Right-click [see note 1] and copy the Current.gpx file.
  5. Right-click [1] on your Mac's Desktop and select Paste to save the Current.gpx file onto the Desktop.

To send the file back (restore) to the GPS:

1. Right-click [1] on Current.gpx file on your Desktop and select Get Info.
  2. Under Name & Extension, rename the file Current1.gpx and press Enter.
  3. Right-click [1] on the Current1.gpx file and select Copy.
  4. With Garmin device connected to the Mac, double-click on the Garmin Drive.
  5. Locate and double-click the GPX Folder.
  6. Right-click [1] and paste the Current1.gpx file into the GPX folder on your Garmin device.

Note 1: If using a Mac with a one button mouse or track pad, hold the Control button on the keyboard and then click the mouse.

==================================

I hope this is clear and it helps. Please give these instructions a try and let me know the results. And please let me know if you have more questions.

Take Care, Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience: Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
DON'T SPEND THE MONEY YET BECAUSE IT IS NOT WORKING ON MY MAC
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,

Can you tell me if you are having a specific issue with the files?

Can you see the files and folders on each of the units?

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I CAN SEE THE FILE BUT WHEN I CONTROL CLICK ON THE COPY CURRENT GPX NOTHING HAPPENS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Are you saying that the MAC is not giving you a "copy" option?

Can you "drag" the file to your desktop?