Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching basic and advanced electronic theory for the DoD.
42300671

my garmin nuvi 1300 will not turn on. the garmin logo will

Customer Question

my garmin nuvi 1300 will not turn on. the garmin logo will come on and a loadig bar will come up but it will never fully load before it turns itself off again. what can i do to get it to work again?
Category: GPS
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the question! My name is Dan.

Since you've already tried resetting your 1300, the next thing we should try is a master reset. I'd be happy to walk you through it. Be aware, though, the master reset will erase all your favorite places. If you want to back them up first, click here.

Once you're ready to reset your 1300, follow these steps:

1. Start with your 1300 turned off and disconnected from power.

2. Touch and hold the lower right corner of the screen with your finger or the eraser end of a pencil.

3. With the corner being held, press and release the power button. Don't let go of the corner.

4. When the 1300 powers on, you should see a message asking if you want to erase all user data. Now you can let go of the corner... then touch "yes."

Place your 1300 outside with its back side facing the sky. Leave it alone for 20 minutes so it can reacquire satellites.

Let me know how it goes!

Best,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the master reset didnt work. it is still doing the same thing it did before.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Michael,

Did you see the message I mentioned? Were you able to touch "yes"?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no i didnt see it. the garmin logo came up and so did the loading bar but turned itself off again. it is as if the screen isnt responding to holding the corner.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Michael,

Ok. Please try this a couple more times just to make sure. Be certain you're touching the lower right corner.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it it still turning itself off. i disconnected it from power and it asked if i want to keep it on using the bettery power. when i tried to say yes it didnt respond to my touch nad turned itself off before it reahed the end of the countdown
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Michael,

The most probable cause of this is an aging internal battery. If the battery is malfunctioning, the unit may not operate normally even if connected to an external power source.

Before we replace the battery, however, I'd like to see if we can update the unit's software. It's free. You'll need to download and install Garmin's WebUpdater software (cilck here).

With the program installed, go ahead and connect your unit to your computer via USB cable, and open the program. Allow it to search for and apply new updates. Then run the program again... then again. Keep running the program over and over until it doesn't find any more updates.

Make sure you set Internet Explorer as the default browser, and also be sure to disable all anti-virus and firewall programs before running the update software.

If the unit doesn't respond to the updates, the best course of action would be to replace the internal battery. Click here for an instructional video. You can get a new battery at newpower99.com but you should only do this if the device is no longer covered by warranty.

Let me know how this works out!!

Best,

Experience: USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching basic and advanced electronic theory for the DoD.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the gps wont turn on long enough for my computer to recognize that it is connected so i cant update the software. i am going to buy a new bettery and hope for the best. thank you for all of your help.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome! Don't hesitate to let me know if you need anything else. If it's OK, I'll send you a note in a week or two to see how the repair went.