BEST-IT-Expert
BEST-IT-Expert, Expert
Experience:  I hold B.S. and M.S. degrees in GIS/RS & 18yrs. Exp. w/GPS
62629778

Our Garmin screen has 2 lines and the words Press dot on screen.

Customer Question

Our Garmin screen has 2 lines and the words Press dot on screen. Whats wrong?
Category: GPS
Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.

Hi there and welcome to Just Answer. I'm Steve. Thanks for asking your question. I'm sorry to hear about your GPS.

The GPS is in screen calibration mode (for some reason). Press the dots as they move around the screen. Eventually, the procedure should terminate and you can use the GPS again.

I'll be here if you need more help. I want you to be 100% satisfied with my answer.

Please consider giving me a positive rating after you read my answer so that I am compensated for my time and effort. If you don't, I won't get anything. It doesn't close the question and we can still continue.

Please also bookmark my web page at www.stevetheguru.com so that you can contact me with your future electronic questions.

Thanks very much.

Steve

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Your suggestion didn't work. pressed dot at least 200 times. This screen has been there 3 weeks. Calibration is the wrong answer. Got another one?
Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.

Ok, try this. Hold down the on off button for about 10 seconds. If you have the slider, slide it to the left for about the same time.

This is a soft reset and it will reboot the GPS.

Let me know.

Steve

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've tried this before but I tried it again several times. Just shuts off and stays off until turned on again....same screen pops up.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.

Get a toothpick.

When the dots come up again, press the dots exactly with the toothpick instead of using your finger.

Let me know.

Thanks very much.

Steve

Expert:  BEST-IT-Expert replied 2 years ago.

Hello! I am sorry you're having trouble with your GPS.

Since you have tried going through the calibration mode and it never finishes it, that means there is a physical fault with the actual touchscreen (digitizer) itself and it needs to be fixed or replaced.

If your GPS is less than a year old, this will be covered under the one-year warranty by Garmin. If it is over a year old, they offer repair at a flat-rate for some models. If you let me know which model you have and how long you've had it, I will get this information for you immediately.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nope, just beeps and dot changes location...same as with finger. This is like a bad joke email where you can never touch where they say. Is there a factory reset? Will internal battery removal work?

You can try a hard reset, if you'd like but I have never seen it resolve this issue. Unfortunately, it has been happening to many Garmin folks lately.

Here is the hard reset procedure...

In order to save your user-entered data, please do the following: (If you don't really have any that you really need to save, you can skip this section...)

1. Hook your Nuvi up to your computer, then double click on "Computer" (Vista / Windows 7) or "My Computer" (XP), then double-click on your "Garmin" or "Nuvi" drive.

2. Copy '/Garmin/GPX/current.gpx' to a place on your computer where you will be able

to find it later.

3. After the hard reset is complete (below), go ahead and find your backed up 'current.gpx' from that place you saved it to in step 2. and rename it to temp.gpx
Then, put it back in the '/Garmin/GPX/' folder on the Nuvi.

4. The next time you turn your GPS on, that file will be read from temp.gpx and restored to your GPS so that they'll be available to you to access again.

Hard reset:

Start with the unit off and unplugged from USB cables, charger, etc.

Touch and hold the lower right corner of the screen with an index finger or the eraser end of a pencil.

Continue pressing the lower right hand corner of the screen with your finger, then power the unit on.

Release the power button when the device powers on.

You will see a message that says, "Do you really want to erase all user data?"

At this point, you can remove your finger from the touchscreen and touch "Yes"

Your Nuvi will reset at this time. Follow the on screen prompts, then place your device in an area with a clear view of the sky until it acquires satellites.

I hope that resolves the calibration problem you're having...if not, I am afraid there isn't much more we can do to fix it and we'll need to look into getting it repaired for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No dice. Used hard reset option. Simply goes to the dot screen. The model is a nuvi 1300. The next 3 weeks I have 3 business trips planned to areas where I will be driving long distances....Texas. No time for repairs. Repair costs would be interesting to know but I will need to go purchase another tomorrow. Maybe a recomendation on which brand and model.

Well, I certainly empathize with you...I'm very sorry to hear you're in a tough spot on getting it fixed...:-(

They will repair your Nuvi 1300 for a flat rate of $99...much more affordable than buying a new unit...except the warranty will only be good on the replacement for 90 days.

Here is the info for you, in case you'd like to go ahead and have them fix it...there is a chance they may be able to get you fixed up fairly quickly. I hope so, anyway!

Phone numbers and hours are Monday-Thursday: 8 AM-6 PM, Friday 8 AM-5 PM Central Time (closed holidays) -- 1-913-397-8200 or 1-800-800-1020

Once you have the RMA number and dock number, please ship it insured and trackable to...

Garmin International
1200 E. 151st Street
RMA Number: (insert your RMA number here)
Dock Door (insert the dock number here)
Olathe, KS 66062 USA

As far as recommendations on other models...as much as I hate to say it, I've really had great luck with my Garmin Nuvi 1390...The TomTom models are pretty reliable also. I would definitely go with a Garmin or TomTom. I personally don't care for Magellan because I've seen them be more prone to hardware failures and also Magellan tends to quit providing software and map updates for their units after a very, very short time. So even if your unit still works ok, your maps would be old and they won't offer new ones, even for purchase.

I'm really sorry about your Nuvi...:-( I would be pretty disappointed if that happens to mine at some point, so I certainly understand how you feel.

BEST-IT-Expert, Expert
Experience: I hold B.S. and M.S. degrees in GIS/RS & 18yrs. Exp. w/GPS