Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

My Garmin Nuvi 270 permanently shows me computer connection

My Garmin Nuvi 270 permanently shows me computer connection icon when I plug it in my car's socket, but when I unplug it, it works properly.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & Welcome,

Can you tell me how long you have owned this unit and when this issue began?

Also, can you tell me if you are using the original car power adapter?

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have owned this device for 3 or 4 years. This issue happen when my original charger was brocken and I replaced it with the same device purchased online two weaks ago
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,

Are you saying that you purchased a "Garmin" car power adapter, of the same exact model as the one that broke? Do you still have that "broken" car adapter available?

I only ask because I know there are a LOT of "chargers" out there that only supply 5 volts - like the USB cable does when connected to a computer.

Do you happen to have another Garmin GPS of about the same age that you can try with this new charger?

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My old charger was mechanically brocken. New charger looks exactly the same. How can I determine what voltage it design for?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Do the car power adapter have the "Garmin" name stamped on it? The part number should be something like "010-11478-03" and that should be somewhere on the package too.

Here are some pictures - on the Amazon site >> Click Here <<.

As I mentioned, there are a LOT of "generic" adapters out there that claim to be compatible but when you read the fine print, they really are "chargers" and are not designed to "power" the unit while plugged in. That is what I think you are seeing.

If you still have the package for the current adapter, please take a careful look at it and let me know what the brand name is, and the exact part number - if there is one.

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
On my old charger there has part number HTC8125, new one has sign 'Universal'
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,

That "HTC" sounds like power adapter for a cell phone. Perhaps it had enough voltage and current to properly power the unit. A "universal' adapter is questionable. It may have been inexpensive and will "charge" the unit, but apparently will not supply enough power to allow it to run while connected. That is why unit displays the screen that shows the computer connected (like a USB cable does).

My advice would be to get a charger that is "guaranteed" to actually power the unit. The one I referred to on Amazon will do that (its the actual Garmin car power adapter), and you may be able to find those locally at a shop that carries GPS accessories. But you can expect to pay a bit more at a local shop.

If you decide on a local shop, I would advise taking the unit with you and have them demonstrate that the adapter actually powers the unit - and not just charge it. Any decent shop should be able to do that for you.

Please let me know what you find or if you have more questions.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Greg A., Engineer
Experience: Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years