Charles
Charles, Engineer
Experience:  Trouble shooting Electronics, FCC communications License
26609390

my garmin, nuvi 650 isn;t working. I have not used it in a

Customer Question

my garmin, nuvi 650 isn;t working. I have not used it in a least a year. can you tell me whAT to do.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Charles replied 4 years ago.

pbmfixs :

Hello, and thanks for your question!!

pbmfixs :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you today!

pbmfixs :

You seem to be offline so I will change formats and you can reply back when you have a chance, Thanks again, Charles

Charles, Engineer
Experience: Trouble shooting Electronics, FCC communications License
Expert:  Charles replied 4 years ago.

You can try to reset the unit by pressing and holding the power button for approx 20 to 30 seconds. This will cause the unit to reboot and clear any software issues it may have. Give this a try and let me know how it goes.

I am also sending a link to the owners manual for you to review if needed.

www.garmin.com/manuals/nuvi650_OwnersManual.pdf

Thanks again,

Charles

Expert:  BEST-IT-Expert replied 4 years ago.

If the soft reset does not fix the problems you're having, you'll need to try a hard reset next...this will delete all user-entered data.

In order to save your user-entered data, please do the following: (If you don't really have any that you really need to save, you can skip this section...)

1. Hook your Nuvi up to your computer, then double click on "Computer" (Vista / Windows 7) or "My Computer" (XP), then double-click on your "Garmin" or "Nuvi" drive.

2. Copy '/Garmin/GPX/current.gpx' to a place on your computer where you will be able to find it later.

3. After the hard reset is complete (below), go ahead and find your backed up 'current.gpx' from that place you saved it to in step 2. and rename it to temp.gpx
Then, put it back in the '/Garmin/GPX/' folder on the Nuvi.

4. The next time you turn your GPS on, that file will be read from temp.gpx and restored to your GPS so that they'll be available to you to access again.

Hard reset procedure:

Start with the unit off and unplugged from USB cables, charger, etc.

Touch and hold the lower right corner of the screen with an index finger or the eraser end of a pencil.

Continue pressing the lower right hand corner of the screen with your finger, then power the unit on.

Release the power button when the device powers on.

You will see a message that says, "Do you really want to erase all user data?"

At this point, you can remove your finger from the touchscreen and touch "Yes"

Your Nuvi will reset at this time. Follow the on screen prompts, then place your device in an area with a clear view of the sky until it acquires satellites.

If you still have the same issues, you'll want to update your unit...I would strongly recommend using Garmin's one-time updater instead of their so-called "lifetime" updater as the lifetime one does not work correctly at this time. I have written very detailed instructions for how to do this...if you need them, please let me know and I will post them here ASAP.