Sijad H.
Sijad H., Technician
Experience:  5+ years repairing various GPS models.

how do I recalibrate the screen on my tomtom xl n14644? I cant

how do I recalibrate the screen on my tomtom xl n14644? I can't type any letters on the far right. I have it plugged into the computer right now. Thanks so much.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 2 years ago.

supercj21 :

Hi and thank you for your question I will be happy to assist you.

supercj21 :

Unfortunately tomtom does not have a built in calibration program for its devices. How old is your device?

Customer:

I really don't know. I think probably 2 years.

supercj21 :

The only thing I can recommend is to try performing a software update. Other than that your device will need to go in for repair.

supercj21 :

Do you know how to update your unit?

Customer:

No I don'

Customer:

don't

Customer:

Can you help me with that?

supercj21 :

Sure can.

First you will need to create an account with tomtom and register your unit. You can do that by CLICKING HERE.

Next you will need to download tomtom home. You can download it by clicking here. Download and install the program.

Connect your tomtom gps to your computer using the usb cable that came with the unit and then turn it on and allow the program to be recognized by your PC.

Run Tomtomhome and follow the on screen prompts to link your tomtom account to the program. Next it will check automatically for available updates. Once it finds the updates, select the updates to install them.

supercj21 :

If that does not help, like I said your device will need to go in for repair as the touch screen is failing and needs to be replaced.

Customer:

How much does that usually cost? Would it be better to just get another one?

supercj21 :

The software update is free.

Customer:

can you stay online to see if this helps?

supercj21 :

The repair will probably cost between $75-$120. I would recommend getting a new device. This way your paying for new technology and newer maps as opposed to paying to repair an older device.

supercj21 :

Yes I will remain online.

Customer:

thanks. I have the tomtom home on the gps. Do I need to download it again?

supercj21 :

I would download it, this way you have the latest version of it.

Customer:

ok it is downloading now. Does it tell me how to update?

supercj21 :

Yes it will walk you through it, or follow the instructions i posted previously.

Customer:

as you can see I'm not very technical.

supercj21 :

That's ok. I will be here if you have any questions during the installation and update process.

Customer:

thanks so much. Now it just says congratulations but doesn't tell me what to do next.

supercj21 :

Ok, do you have tomtom home open?

Customer:

ok it is backing up now. Should I leave this window open in case I need to ask you something else?

supercj21 :

Of course. Keep this window until we are done. That way if there are any questions at all, I can answer them for you.

Customer:

thank you so much.

supercj21 :

Not a problem.

Customer:

how long does it usually take to backup? Its not even half way through

supercj21 :

It can take a little bit. Your map is the biggest file size you have on there and that is what takes the most time.

Customer:

ok I will let you know if it works. Thanks for the help.

supercj21 :

No problem.

Customer:

still didn't work. Guess time to get a new one.

Customer:

do I get to ask any more questions for the $30 or is it just one?

supercj21 :

Yes I believe.

supercj21 :

so.

supercj21 :

Sorry the update didn't help but it was worth a try.

supercj21 :

If there is anything else I can do for you, please let me know.

Customer:

thanks. I found out I can connect to my computer and put an address in that way so all was not lost. Thanks again. God Bless.

supercj21 :

Not a problem. Please remember to click accept if I have been helpful to you.

supercj21 :

Have a great night!!

Sijad H., Technician
Experience: 5+ years repairing various GPS models.