Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years

transfer locations from one Garmin to another

Customer Question

Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & Welcome,

Can you tell me the Model Numbers of the units you have?

In other words, what is the model number of the OLD unit AND the NEW unit?

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
From NUVI 780 to NUVI 2460
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,

OK - The bit of information I believe you need is that all of your "favorites" are saved in a file called "current.gpx" - on the 780. That is the file that you want to transfer from the old unit to the new one.

That being said, your "Recently found" locations are NOT normally saved in your favorites. So if you want to transfer all of the recently found locations, you should first SAVE each of the recently found locations that you want to move - into your Favorites on the 780. Here are the detailed instructions to save your recently found locations to your favorites

============================

To save a recently found location to your Favorites:

1. 1) Access the list of recently found locations per the steps outlined above for your device
  2. 2) Touch the location you want to save
  3. 3) Touch Save
  4. 4) If your model asks you to enter a name for the location, type the name then touch Done

The location may now be accessed in your nuvi's Favorites list. Repeat these steps as desired for any additional recently found locations that you would like to save to your Favorites.

============================
I would then go check your Favorites to make sure any recently found locations have actually been saved. This is just a confirmation step.

Now, to "backup" the Favorites, you will want to copy the "current.gpx" file to your computer (desktop is a good location).

You should find the current.gpx file on your device when you connect it to your computer via the USB cable. It should be in the Garmin folder or Garmin\gpx folder. You should be able to display the date and time the file was last saved, and it should be relatively current - since you saved some recently found locations to the .gpx file.

Next, to put the file on 2460, you will want to rename the saved file (on your desktop) to current1.gpx. Then you want to "copy & paste" the current1.gpx file into the 2460 - in the same folder where you find the "current.gpx" file. Again, this could be in a slightly different folder - because of the software differences between the two units. Typically the Garmin folder. the Garmin\gpx folder, and sometimes the System folder is where the current.gpx is located. I will go grab my wife's unit - which has newer software - and verify where that is on her unit.

I hope this is clear. Please give that a try and let me know what you see.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Greg A., Engineer
Experience: Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,

I just wanted to let you know that I found a separate GPX folder on my wife's unit (not Garmin\gpx - just GPX). You will probably find the "current.gpx" file in that folder.

Thanks, Greg A.