BEST-IT-Expert
BEST-IT-Expert, Expert
Experience:  I hold B.S. and M.S. degrees in GIS/RS & 18yrs. Exp. w/GPS
62629778

My Garmin nuvi automatically shuts off even when being charged

My Garmin nuvi automatically shuts off even when being charged while driving, with the notation of "battery low" or replace battery". Is there a replaceable interior battery? My Garmin is 4-5 years old.
Category: GPS
Expert:  BEST-IT-Expert replied 4 years ago.

BEST-IT-Expert :

Hello! Well, from what you've described, the problem could either be a bad internal battery in your Nuvi or a bad vehicle charger.

In order to narrow down which one, here's what to do...

Please try using your vehicle charger with your GPS in a different vehicle. If it powers on / charges in the other vehicle, then the problem is with the lighter plug in the first vehicle.

If it does not power on / charge in a different vehicle, then please try plugging it into your computer using the USB cable to allow it to charge there for approximately 4 hours...more is better though.

If it will not charge / power on on the USB cable after that, then that means the internal battery needs to be replaced.

If it *does* charge / power on on the USB cable, then that means your car charger needs to be replaced -or- the fuse should be checked (if equipped with a fuse...some car chargers don't have them).

The internal battery in most receivers usually fails after about 1-2 years so since your unit is 4-5 years old, I'd definitely suspect the battery.

Garmin will replace it (for a fee) or I can help get the resources you need in order for you to swap it out yourself quite a bit cheaper. If you'd like to do that, please let me know which model Nuvi you have and I will get the info you need for you.

Customer:

What is the cost of the battery? And can this be done at a Garmin store, or store that sells Garmin products?

BEST-IT-Expert :

No, retailers won't replace the battery for you. A new one from Garmin is around $60+, depending on what model Nuvi you have. Can you please let me know what model Nuvi you have? If you do it yourself, the battery itself is only around $23 or so.

BEST-IT-Expert :

But I will need to know what model your Nuvi is to get you the correct information.

Customer:

Garmin Nuvi Serial #10R-023994

BEST-IT-Expert :

Model number, please...

BEST-IT-Expert :

Should be something like "255w", "1300"...something like that...

BEST-IT-Expert :

I don't have any way to get the model from the serial number, unfortunately...wish I did...

Customer:

Garmin Nuvi. Serial # 10R-023994

BEST-IT-Expert :

Right.

BEST-IT-Expert :

I need the model number, please...

BEST-IT-Expert :

Is it possibly a Garmin Nuvi 750?

BEST-IT-Expert :

I will get the info for that model and you can check it out to see if it looks like your unit...

Customer:

Garmin Nuvi 750

BEST-IT-Expert :

Ok, great! :-)

Here is the video showing how to replace your battery...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxP4PdRB_98

BEST-IT-Expert :

Sources for the correct battery for you...

BEST-IT-Expert :

And written instructions, in case those are helpful for you...

BEST-IT-Expert :

That should be everything you need to change out your battery. If you have anymore questions, please let me know and I will do my best to help further ASAP! :-) Take care...