Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

How do program trip directions into my garmin gps

Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 years ago.
Hello & Welcome,

Can you tell me the Model Number of your device?

Can you also tell me how long you have owned this unit?

Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
my model # XXXXX
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 years ago.
That appears to be a Nuvi 40LM (based on the serial number).

Can you tell me how long you have owned this unit?

Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have owned this GPS for about 2 wks, I am driving from Norway, Mi. to Oceanside, Calif. I have have directions on my map, I want to program them into my garmin gps.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 years ago.
Hi again,

I will assume that you do NOT have the full manual for this unit, so I will give you a link to it below. This is a PDF file that you should be able to see when you click the link. You may want to save the file on your computer for future reference, or even print it out to keep with you during your trip. I say this because it does take time to "get used to" operating a new device - even if you have owned one before.

Manual <-- Click Here

Once you have that manual, please look at the pages about how to search for addresses and locations starting on page 5. There are various ways to find these locations, and once you have found a few locations that you want to visit, then I would recommend that you "save" them to your "favorites". Once stored in there, you will have quick access to be able to select them.

Once a location is saved, use the "Where to" screen to select it and the Nuvi will calculate the directions to your destination.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have more questions.

Take Care & Travel Safe, Greg A.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Which visual icons should I use to input my directions from my map?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 years ago.
I don't understand that last question.

The unit itself calculates the directions. Are you trying to tell the unit exactly how to make these calculations?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I want to input my map directions into my gps, but do not know which icons that are viewed on the screen to accomplish the map driections.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 years ago.
Hi again,

OK - You CAN program in "points of interest" such as addresses of stores, shops, etc., but you can not tell the unit how to calculate the "route", other than some of the preferences such as "fastest", shortest distance, etc.

Also, this particular unit will only calculate one route at a time. That is, it will start its calculations from your current location, and will give you directions to get to whatever destination you choose. You may be able to insert one other "via" along the way, but this particular unit does not support multi-destination or multi-point routes.

So if you want to be able to route to multiple points along your trip between MI & CA, then you will need to save each point to your favorites and then select each of those points along the way - one or perhaps two at a time (one "destination" and one "via point").

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX