BEST-IT-Expert
BEST-IT-Expert, Expert
Experience:  I hold B.S. and M.S. degrees in GIS/RS & 18yrs. Exp. w/GPS
62629778

I received a new TomTom (Model 4EN52 Z1230) for Christmas.

I received a new TomTom (Model 4EN52 Z1230) for Christmas. I set it up on Christmas day according to the instructions. It worked great the next day, Monday, December 26. I wanted to use it on Thursday the 29th and it was very slow with commands and the color was very faded. I shut it off and wanted to use it again on Sunday, January 1, and after plugging it into car charger part/unit intake, it would not start up at all - it almost acts like the battery is dead, but there is no reason for the battery to be dead. I am tempted to reconnect it to my computer but don't know if that would be the right thing to try?

Arlene
Category: GPS
Expert:  BEST-IT-Expert replied 5 years ago.

BEST-IT-Expert :

Hi, Arlene! Has your TomTom sat out in the vehicle (presumably in the cold) for quite a long time before trying to use it when you saw the slowness and power issues before? If so, that could definitely cause it to behave as if the battery is failing. If it has not been left in the vehicle overnight in the cold, then I would suspect a fault with the unit or the vehicle charger...or (much less likely) with the lighter plug in your car.

What I would try first is if it was outside, please bring it in and allow it to warm up to room temperature. Then, try charging it via either your wall adapter (if you have one) or with the USB cable while connected to your computer. If it will not work after charging using one of those methods for abotu 4-6 hours, then there may a fault with the unit and would need to be exchanged.

But you are correct in wanting to reconnect it to your computer...it definitely would not hurt anything and should allow it to charge.

BEST-IT-Expert :

Please try charging it on your computer and if you have any other questions, please let me know and I will do my best to help further ASAP.

Customer:

I will try reconnecting it to my computer and get back with you to let you know if it worked.

BEST-IT-Expert :

Ok, great! It will let me know when you reply and I will try to reply back to you as soon as I can after that.

BEST-IT-Expert :

When you charge it, please allow it to charge for at least 4-6 hours. Also, please make sure your computer is not set to "sleep" or "hibernate" during that time as it will sometimes shut off power to the USB ports if it does that.

BEST-IT-Expert :

I'm going to close this window, but again I will reply as soon as possible when I receive a reply from you here.

Customer:

I just tried to restart my GPS and nothing happened.

BEST-IT-Expert :

Did you try the soft reset again also?

Customer:

What is that?

BEST-IT-Expert :

Holding the power button down for a minimum of 2-3 minutes...

BEST-IT-Expert :

Sorry, I thought we'd tried that earlier...

Customer:

No, I didn't try that - I'll do it now.

BEST-IT-Expert :

Ok, great. :-)

Customer:

That worked. I'll try to move from screen to screen

Customer:

I'm still waiting for a gps signal.

BEST-IT-Expert :

Ok, no worries...glad it reset for you.

BEST-IT-Expert :

If you're having trouble getting a signal, you might need to take it outside.

BEST-IT-Expert :

With a reset, sometimes it needs to "cold start" which takes longer than a warm start (warm start = turning it on after not using it for just a few days or so...)

Customer:

ok I got the signal. I can't seem to find (not a new problem) the type of map I am used to. the colors are grey and not at all like they should be

Customer:

ok i got some color now. how do i get the map that shows a portion of the route as I drive along - I only get a view of the whole route on the screen

BEST-IT-Expert :

The view you're seeing should change as you start driving. While you're stationary, you'll see the view you're seeing now.

Customer:

It seems to be working now - I just have to play with it a bit. It does not operate like my old
TomTom did. Thank you for your help. Have a great day.