Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

my daughter has gad a garmin forerunner 110 since November

my daughter has gad a garmin forerunner 110 since November 2010. She has used it about 15 times. Suddenly, the screen has gone blank. It won't charge or turn on. What should we do?
Category: GPS
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you're having with your Garmin.

There are several methods to try to reset the Forerunner 100, perform them in order of priority.

First, press and hold Page + Lap buttons to soft reset the unit.

If that does not work, then with the watch off, press and hold Lap/Reset and the Light buttons simultaneously. The watch should prompt you if you want to erase your data.

If you still cannot get it to boot up properly, then do a Hardware Reset: Do this only if the unit is frozen. If this is done with the unit is active, it could corrupt the file system. Let the unit go into Power Save mode before doing this. When in Power Save Mode, press and hold the light button for 7 seconds. The display will go blank. To bring the display back, press and hold light again for 1-2 seconds.

Additionally, if neither of the above methods fixes the problem then the unit is faulty and should be sent to Garmin for repair as it is still within the one year warranty period.

To Obtain Warranty Service Please Complete These Two Easy Steps:

Contact Garmin Technical Support to receive an RMA number.Call or e-mail a Garmin Technical Support Specialist to describe the problem and request a return material authorization (RMA) number. You will need to provide the unit's serial number (if applicable), your return shipping address and a daytime phone number.

Phone:1-800-800-1020 or(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>Fax:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>E-mail: Tech Support
Ship the unit, along with the RMA number, to Garmin.Once you have received the RMA number, you also will be told what dock number to include in the shipping address. Ship the unit (insured) to the following address and include the assigned dock number:

Garmin International
1200 E. 151st Street
RMA Number: (insert your RMA number here)
Dock Door (insert the dock number here)
Olathe, KS 66062 USA

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The watch must be frozen because it shows no display at all. So your answer telling us to put it into a certain mode and taking certain steps doesn't help. Could you pls modify your answer to address our situation where there is no display, no on or off light? Thank you
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.

The procedures I outline above are to reset the watch. Aside from that, the unit would need to have a new battery installed. I could send you a link to instructions on how to do this, and where you can purchase the battery, but the watch is still within the manufacturer's one year warranty so it would make sense to have Garmin repair it for free- no?

If you need further assistance, let me know.