Andy, Elec. Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp. MS Elec Engg, Design Engineer.

My Garmin GPS stopped talking. Can I get her voice back

Customer Question

My Garmin GPS stopped talking. Can I get her voice back?
Category: GPS
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer !! I am Andy and I will be glad to help you out with your issue today.

Are you not able to hear any sound ... or only the navigational prompts are missing ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No sound at all and the volume is up.
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.

What is the model number of your unit

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It's a nuvi 205.
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.

To ensure that your units sound is not muted please perform the following:

1. Turn the device on
  2. Press the Volume button on the ‘Where To?’, ‘View Map’ screen
  3. Ensure the Mute box is not ‘checked’

If the mute button is not ‘ticked’, you will need to change the voice to ensure that the preset voice is not faulty:

1. Turn the device on
  2. Touch the Tool icon
  3. Touch Settings
  4. Touch Language
  5. Touch the language voice next to Voice
  6. Scroll through and select another appropriate voice

If changing the voice is not helping you will need to ensure that you are running the latest software which can be done by installing a program called WebUpdater. WebUpdater can be installed via the link below:

Once updated please allow the unit to reboot which will ensure the software successfully installs.

If after following all the above the final steps would be to perform a master reset:

Note: A master reset will erase all waypoints or favorites and will restore your unit to the default factory settings.

1. Start with the unit OFF and unplugged from power
  2. Touch and hold the lower right corner of the screen with an index finger or the eraser end of a pencil
  3. Continue touching and holding the lower right hand corner of the screen then power the unit ON
  4. Release the power button when the device powers on. After 5-10 seconds you will see a new message: Do you really want to erase all user data?
  5. Remove your finger from the touchscreen when this message displays
  6. Touch Yes

The device will automatically reset. Please follow the on screen prompts on the nuvi and when completed place your device in an area with a clear view of the sky until it acquires satellites.

If none of these works, that means there is a hardware or firmware issue in your Nuvi and it needs to be repaired by Garmin.

So you will have to send it to Garmin and they will charge you a flat rate to repair the unit for you. If in warranty, it will be a free repair.

Please click here : LINK on instructions about how to send it for repair.

Feel free to ask any question or concern you may have. I will be glad to help you.

Please click "ACCEPT" so that I get paid.

(You need to click ACCEPT even if you are a SUBSCRIPTION or TRIAL member)

Positive Feedback and BONUS are always appreciated.