Rod, Engineer
Experience:  Engineer - FCC Commercial License
14090506

my garmin nuvi 1300 does not work right.When you turn on the

Customer Question

my garmin nuvi 1300 does not work right.When you turn on the power button garmin word comes on then goes off then comes back on,it does this several times before shutting down.It does not ever get past the word garmin.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Rod replied 6 years ago.

Is the unit charging okay - showing that the power adapter is charging?

When you did a reset - did you have any charger or USB cable connected?

Thanks,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I tried with the charger connected and also disconnected
Expert:  Rod replied 6 years ago.

Okay, the reset must be done without any charger or USB cable connected and the button pressed for 10 seconds.

A hard reset (this will cause you to lose any stored data) is accomplished by turning off the unit, pressing and holding the lower right hand corner of the screen and then powering it on. A menu should pop up asking if you want to erase all data - select yes.

If that corrects the problem for the booting up, then I strongly recommend you do a software update for the unit, Garmin has released an update, that should correct this freeze problem. Go to this web site, and download the Garmin WebUpdater program and install it on your computer, before you connect the Garmin to your computer. Once installed, connect the Garmin to the computer and start the program. Follow the program directions for updating the operating system.

After the software update, you should do a soft reset again (holding power button).

Thanks,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It still does not work.It keeps flashing the word garmin
Expert:  Rod replied 6 years ago.

When you did the hard reset, did you keep your finger pressing the bottom right hand corner of the screen until the window came up or did you release it right after powering it on?

Thanks,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I kept it pressed and the only thing that happens is the garmin word keeps coming on.

Maybe 6 or 7 times then shuts down

Expert:  Rod replied 6 years ago.

You may have a hardware problem - as the hard reset will clear any errors. How long have you owned the unit?

Thanks,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
maybe 4 months
Expert:  Rod replied 6 years ago.

That is good, your unit is still under warranty - and will have to be serviced. They have a one year warranty.

Call or e-mail a Garmin Technical Support Specialist to describe the problem and request a return material authorization (RMA) number. You will need to provide the unit's serial number, your return shipping address and a daytime phone number.

Phone:1-800-800-1020 or 913-397-8200
Fax: 913-397-8282
E-mail: Tech Support

Be sure to tell them you tried both a soft and hard reset and neither corrected the problem, as they will have you go through the process again.

Thanks,