Daniel, Engineer
Experience:  BSEE (Electrical Engineer), 10+ years electronic design experience ,chip, board, component expert
47322625

My Garmin Nuvi 260W is not working. It does two distinct things

Customer Question

My Garmin Nuvi 260W is not working. It does two distinct things and only those two things. Sometimes it turns on and then just turns off. Other times it turns on and then stays on the "I Agree" screen. I cannot make it do anything, including turn off. This occurs whether it is plugged in or not.

Is this a battery issue or something else.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

jaredpoz :

Hi there happy to help.

jaredpoz :

Lets try a couple of things to try and knock your Nuvi back to life.

jaredpoz :

First lets try a soft reset. This will not cause you to lose any user data.

jaredpoz :

There should be a small hole on the bottom of the unit.

jaredpoz :

Using a paper clip(with the unit on) press and hold the reset button inside until the unit restarts.

jaredpoz :

If this doesn't work we will have to go nuclear ......

jaredpoz :

WWarning the following willerase all user inputed data on your Nuvi.

jaredpoz :

Turn the unit OFF.

jaredpoz :

Hold your finger on the lower right hand corner of the screen WHILE turning the unit ON.

jaredpoz :

Continue holding your finger until the prompt asks if you want to clear all user data.

jaredpoz :

Select YES.

jaredpoz :

Your Nuvi will now be reset to factory settings and back in working order.

jaredpoz :

Hope this helps,

jaredpoz :

-Jared

jaredpoz :

If this answer helped you please click the ACCEPT button.

Customer:

Thank you for your attempt to help me fix the problem. I was unsuccessful, unfortunately. The unit would not stay on long enough to try the suggestions (listed problem #1). I guess it is not to be.

jaredpoz :

Hi there sorry that didn't work for you.

jaredpoz :

Looks like there is an actual hardware problem with the unit.

jaredpoz :

Fortunately, Garmin offers a very reasonable flat rate repair fee for their GPS units.

jaredpoz :

Even better yet, I looked it up, and for this particular unit, the repair rate is only $79.

jaredpoz :

Go here......

jaredpoz :

Just enter your model number in the drop down menu and follwo the on screen directions for mailing in the unit.

jaredpoz :

They will fix it and send it bck to you. For $79 you will have a good as new Garmin.

jaredpoz :

Hope this helps,

jaredpoz :

-Jared

jaredpoz :

Customer:

Thank you very much for your help and for your suggestions.

Daniel, Engineer
Experience: BSEE (Electrical Engineer), 10+ years electronic design experience ,chip, board, component expert