Todd M
Todd M,
Experience:  Technician at Montgomery Motors
97226864

A 87 gmc truckthe front wheels are frozen, i replaced the

Customer Question

a 87 gmc truck*****the front wheels are frozen , i replaced the front calpers
JA: Besides this, what condition is the car in?
Customer: its ok but its old
JA: What is the model of your '87 GMC?
Customer: sierra 1500
JA: Are you fixing your Sierra 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes both calpers
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: thats all
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Todd M replied 6 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Just so that I have a clear understanding, you have replaced the calipers, and the wheels are still frozen?

Expert:  Todd M replied 6 days ago.

If this is the case, that means that the wheel bearings(#'s 1), have frozen, which has caused the hub to be frozen. The only way to cure this issue is to remove the hub and you may have to cut the bearing off of the shaft. The best way(in my opinion) is to remove the spindle and work on this off of the vehicle. Here I am providing information for removing the spindle(steering knuckle) and also information for replacing the bearings.

Expert:  Todd M replied 6 days ago.

Here is the diagram for the front suspension.

Expert:  Todd M replied 6 days ago.

The steering knuckle is #3 on the diagram.

Expert:  Todd M replied 6 days ago.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate and I will continue to assist you with this issue as needed