Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 year experience.
10949255

I have replaced the bar on the exterior of tailgate that

Customer Question

I have replaced the bar on the exterior of tailgate that holds the open latch pads, twice since I have bought it new and once from inside. The window goes up and down I just can't get door to open. It's been that way 80% of the time. Usually within a month after its fixed it stops working. I have just learned to live with it that way, unfortunately.
JA: What is the model of your '80 GM?
Customer: 2004 Envoy SLT XUV 5.3 V8
JA: Are you fixing your Envoy yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I actually need to replace the taillight and can I get at it It.
JA: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?
Customer: Yes I am trying to fix it myself and no I have not checked the lights because I can't get at it.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have the inside panel removed, the window up, the window module removed. I would like to fix the switch issues and tale light.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

the rear tail lamp is removed from outside

2004 GMC Truck Envoy 4WD V8-5.3L VIN P

Save Article

TAIL LAMP REPLACEMENT REMOVAL PROCEDURE

Zoom and Print Options

1. Remove the 2 screws that retain the tail lamp assembly to the body.
2. Pull the assembly directly rearward in order to release the 2 locking pins.
3. Disconnect the tail lamp electrical connector.
4. Remove the lamp assembly from the vehicle.
5. Remove the tail lamp circuit board.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

Zoom and Print Options

1. Install the tail lamp circuit board. Refer to Tail Lamp Circuit Board Replacement .
2. Connect the tail lamp electrical connector.
3. Push the tail lamp assembly directly forward in order to seat the 2 locking pins.
4. Install the 2 tail lamp assembly retaining screws.

NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

Tighten the screws to 1.9 N.m (17 lb in).

© 2017 ALLDATA, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use (Version 2.0.13830)

Please read the tsb below if it applies

2004 GMC Truck Envoy 4WD V8-5.3L VIN P

Save Article

Bulletin No.: 04-08-66-017 Date: November 09, 2004 TECHNICAL Subject: Liftgate or Liftgate Glass Binds, Does Not Open Completely, CHMSL Hits Roof (Remove Material from CHMSL Applique) Models: 2002-2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer EXT 2002-2005 GMC Envoy XL Condition Some customers may comment that the liftgate or liftgate glass binds when opening or does not open all the way. Cause This condition is caused by the Center High Mounted Stop Lamp (CHMSL) applique hitting the roof of the vehicle. Correction Verify that the CHMSL applique is not loose or broken off one or more of its mounting points. If the applique is broken, it will be necessary to order a replacement part. Important: ^ It should not be necessary to replace the liftgate glass. ^ All measurements and alterations should take place prior to paint finish. ^ It is necessary to install any replacement parts in order to measure to determine if further modification is required. To achieve the proper clearance, modification to the applique is required using the following procedure: 1. Measure (with applique installed) the area of interference in order to determine the material to be removed. ^ The top surface (height) of the applique should line up approximately 1 mm (0.039 in) below the top surface of the roof. ^ A gap of 6-8 mm (0.236-0.315 in) should exist between the roof and the applique to allow for adequate clearance while opening the liftgate.

Zoom and Print Options

2. Mask off the desired amount of material to be removed.

3. Open the liftgate glass.

Note:
Do no damage the applique or the liftgate glass when removing the applique from the liftgate glass.

4. Remove the screws that retain the applique to the liftgate glass.

5. With a flat-bladed tool, carefully remove the applique from the liftgate glass.

6. Remove the CHMSL harness grommet from the roof panel.

7. Disconnect the CHMSL harness connector and remove CHMSL applique from the vehicle.

8. Using a 1/4" die grinder and Scotch-Brite(R) Disc, 3M(R) P/N 07481, remove excess material from the applique.

Zoom and Print Options

9. Paint the applique to match.

Important:
If the original part is used, it is important to seal (clear coat) the edge to protect the clear coat from lifting.

10. Remove the old adhesive from the underside of the applique.

11. Clean the application area of the CHMSL applique with Isopropyl Alcohol (rubbing alcohol), 3M(R) P/N 08984, or equivalent, and dry thoroughly using a clean low lint towel or towelette.

12. Apply double-sided adhesive tape, 3M(R) P/N 06397, or equivalent, to the underside of the CHMSL applique.

13. Remove the old adhesive from the liftgate glass.

Important:
^ The installation area of the liftgate glass must be clean and dry. Any airborne dust, oils, etc., may contaminate the glass or the applique adhesive, and reduce the bond of the tape.

^ DO NOT use commercial glass or surface cleaners. These may contain petroleum.

^ The glass surface temperature should be no lower than 21°C (70°F) and not exceed 38°C (100°F).

14. Clean the application area of the liftgate glass with Isopropyl Alcohol (rubbing alcohol), 3M(R) P/N 08984, or equivalent, and dry thoroughly using a clean low lint towel or towelette.

15. Apply adhesive promoter, P/N 12378555, in Canada, use P/N 88901239, to the liftgate glass surface, completely wetting the applique application area.

Important:
^ Use a clean low lint towel or towelette and wipe the glass, only removing the excess adhesive promoter from the lift gate glass.

^ Do not wipe the glass dry.

^ Allow the liftgate glass to air dry completely.

^ The applique must be installed within 30 minutes following the use of the promoter.

16. Allow the adhesive promoter to remain on the glass surface for a minimum of 10 seconds.

17. Attach the CHMSL wire to the connector and install the grommet.

18. Slide the liftgate glass on the hinge pins to the left in order to allow clearance for the locating hooks.

19. Remove the protective liner from the tape on the applique.

20. Attach the locating hooks on the applique to the hinge pins.

21. Apply the applique to the liftgate glass.

22. With the heel of your hand, and starting from center of the applique and working outward towards each outer edge, apply even and consistent pressure ensuring complete contact of the adhesive strip to the glass.

23. Install the screws that retain the applique to the liftgate glass.

Tighten

Tighten the screws to 5 N.m (44 lb in).

Important:
The vehicle must be kept dry and at 21°C (70°F) to 43°C (110°F) for no less than 4 hours to ensure proper adhesive cure time.

24. Clean the liftgate glass and applique area.

Zoom and Print Options

Parts Information

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Warranty Information

Zoom and Print Options

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use the table.

Zoom and Print Options

Disclaimer

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** you didn't answer the second part of the question, getting the tailgate to work or open?

sorry it is not as fast as texting here and have to upload files so takes few minutes to reply .

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am not paying another 26.00 to talk to you on the phone ?? If this begins to look like a email scam I will signing off and calling The BBB. First it was 5.00 then 26.00 now another 26.00??

there is 3 latches that we change for this issue

Bulletin No.: 05-08-66-008 Date: November 11, 2005 TECHNICAL Subject: Endgate, Glass Or Root Will Not Operate Properly (Replace Endgate Latches) Models: 2004-2005 GMC Envoy XUV Condition Some customers may comment on any of the following concerns: ^ The endgate is hard to close. ^ The endgate glass will not open or close all the way. ^ The retractable roof will not close all the way. Cause A build up of dirt or dust on the switch inside the latch may cause this condition. Correction Replace all three endgate latches with a new robust latch from GMSPO.

Zoom and Print Options

Parts Information

Warranty Information

Zoom and Print Options

Zoom and Print Options

Disclaimer

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm surprised you don't have a Utube video of this? Does those bulletins explain how to remove the switches and clean them?
I would rather try that first, rather than to buy new ones to put in, (which is happened three previous times and they failed within a month, I would rather not go that route first .

I don't us you tube ,but you can search for video for replacement for one ,not sure if they have one for that ,our factory online manuals don't have videos in it

sorry.

but i have this if that helps

click on diagram to view

Latch Replacement - Liftgate Removal Procedure 1. Remove the liftgate window garnish molding. 2. Remove the liftgate trim panel.

Zoom and Print Options

3. Disconnect the outside handle rod from the bellcrank.

Zoom and Print Options

4. Disconnect the bellcrank rod from the latch/lock assembly.
5. Remove the screws that retain the bellcrank to the latch/lock.
6. Remove the bellcrank from the latch/lock.

Zoom and Print Options

7. Disconnect the electrical connector from the latch assembly.
8. Disconnect the lock cylinder bellcrank rod (1) from the latch assembly.
9. Remove the screws that retain the latch/lock assembly to the liftgate.
10. Remove the latch/lock assembly from the liftgate.

Installation Procedure

Zoom and Print Options

1. Position the latch/lock assembly to the liftgate.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

2. Install the screws that retain the latch/lock assembly to the liftgate.

Tighten the screws to 10 N.m (89 lb in).

3. Connect the lock cylinder bellcrank rod (1) to the latch/lock assembly.
4. Connect the electrical connector to the latch/lock assembly.

Zoom and Print Options

5. Position the bellcrank to the latch/lock assembly.
6. Install the screws that retain the bellcrank to the latch/lock assembly.

Tighten the screws to 0.7 N.m (6 lb in).

7. Connect the bellcrank rod to the latch/lock assembly.

Zoom and Print Options

8. Connect the outside handle rod to the bellcrank.
9. Install the liftgate trim panel.
10. Install the liftgate window garnish molding.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This doesn't seem to help or answer my question!

What you expect me to tell you I gave all the steps and the diagrams :),maybe you looking for a magical answer

I will opt out of your question & open for other expert maybe they have one for you

i did answer your first question and 2nd & that is one question one answer site .

good luck with it

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I asked since I have the inside panel removed can you fix the latches from there so the tailgate will open.