Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 year experience.
10949255

Just replaced the engine and starter. Now the car won't turn

Customer Question

Just replaced the engine and starter. Now the car won't turn over, and the dash and running lights dim when trying to start. I've checked all the connections. Possible bad main relay?
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: I've checked the fuses under the hood, something is drawing down the power. I'm not even getting a clicking from the starter
JA: What is the model/year of your GMC?
Customer: 2010 gmc arcadia
JA: Are you fixing your Acadia yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I just finished installing a good used engine. Everything is hooked up ? Before I realized the old engine was bad we had to use a battery charger on200 amp jumpstart to turn over the old engine. Thus causing damage to the old starter. Wondering if something else was damaged electrical
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, where is the starter relay on this vehicle
Category: GMC
Expert:  Gm Tech (Cam) replied 5 months ago.

Hi there, I am Cam.
With your vehicle, did you replace the engine's computer with the engine or did you keep your old PCM?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I kept the old pcm. The engines were from the same vin number family. I've never had an issue in the past with pcms

No, but if you put the PCM from the Donor engine into the existing car, the VIN's would not match and security would shut down.

IF you used the proper PCM for the vehicle, then tell me if the engine turns easily enough if you use a wrench on the harmonic balancer?