Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 year experience.
10949255

My 2009 gmc acadia, Will crank but won't start. I have

Customer Question

My 2009 gmc acadia b
JA: Are you fixing your Acadia yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Will crank but won't start. I have replace the crank position sensor and all 6 spark plugs and a new battery.
JA: Does the vehicle stall at low speeds? Does it sputter?
Customer: Yes it did and now it won't start back up
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have also replaced the coil packs on cylinder 1 and 4
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The spark plugs are getting a spark

Hey how are you

1- when you turn the switch from OFF to ON position ,does the fuel pump comes on,you should hear it buzz for few seconds to prime fuel rail ?

have you had a diagnostic scan and retrieved the fault codes ?

We need correct Fuel pressuer & good Spark for the engine to run correctly ?

Do you have a test light so we can check for spark ?

Do you have fuel pressure tester to check for fuel ?

are you looking at fixing this yourself or looking to know the most possible cause of this issue and taking it to repair shop for the work ?

Do you have any prior experience in electrical troubleshooting and testing with a test light for power & ground ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Fuel pump does come on. Code came up for crank position sensor replaced that and still nothing.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Looking to see what it is then take in to shop

PLEASE READ BELOW ,ESPECIALLY THE HIGHLIGHTED SECTION

Additionally, a small number of 2007-2012 model year vehicles that include; 2008-2013 Chevrolet Avalanche, 2008-2009 Chevrolet Colorado vehicles; 2007-2013 Chevrolet Silverado, 2008-2014 Suburban, and Tahoe vehicles; 2008-2013 GMC Sierra and 2009-2012 Yukon vehicles; 2008-2009 GMC Canyon vehicles; 2009-2010 HUMMER H2, H3 and H3T vehicles; and 2008-2009 Saturn VUE and 2009 Outlook vehicles may have been serviced with a chassis electronic module that could have internal contamination, causing an electrical short in the module. If the module experiences an electrical short, the vehicle could display a check engine light, stall, or fail to start. If the vehicle experiences this condition and stalls while in motion, there could be an increased risk of a vehicle crash.

2009 GMC Truck Acadia FWD V6-3.6L

Save Article

# 14515B: Product Safety - Chassis Electronic Control Module Internal Contamination - (Feb 2, 2015) Subject: 14515B - Chassis Electronic Control Module Internal Contamination Models: 2009-2014 Buick Enclave 2009-2014 Cadillac CTS (VIN D) 2008-2014 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV 2008-2013 Chevrolet Avalanche 2009-2012 Chevrolet Colorado 2007-2014 Chevrolet Silverado HD Cab Chassis 2007-2014 GMC Sierra HD Cab Chassis 2007-2009, 2014 GMC Sierra HD 2008-2014 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe 2008-2014 Chevrolet Express 2012-2014 Chevrolet Impala 'W' 2009-2014 Chevrolet Traverse 2007-2013 Chevrolet Silverado 2007-2009, 2014 Chevrolet Silverado HD 2009-2012 GMC Canyon 2007-2013 GMC Sierra 2009-2014 GMC Acadia 2008-2014 GMC Savana 2008-2014 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL 2008-2009 Hummer H2 2009-2010 Hummer H3, H3T 2009 Saturn Outlook 2008-2009 Saturn VUE 2014 Chevrolet Captiva 2009 Saturn Outlook 2008-2009 Saturn VUE This bulletin is being revised to identify modules for use with RPO JL1 in the parts information chart, and to add the 3500 series pickups to the labor time chart. Please discard all copies of bulletin 14515A. It is a violation of Federal law for a dealer to deliver a new motor vehicle or any new or used item of motor vehicle equipment (including a tire) covered by this notification under a sale or lease until the defect or noncompliance is remedied. Vehicles involved in this recall were placed on stop delivery October 1, 2014. Once the service procedure contained in this bulletin has been performed on the vehicle, the vehicle is released from stop delivery and the vehicle can be delivered to the customer. All involved vehicles that are in dealer inventory must be held and not delivered to customers, dealer traded, or used for demonstration purposes until the repair contained in this bulletin has been performed on the vehicle. Condition General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2013 - 2014 model year Cadillac CTS, Escalade, and Escalade ESV vehicles; Chevrolet Suburban and Tahoe vehicles; and GMC Yukon and Yukon XL vehicles and certain 2014 model year Buick Enclave vehicles; Chevrolet Express and Captiva, Impala Limited, Silverado HD and Traverse vehicles; and GMC Acadia, Savana and Sierra HD vehicles. Some of these vehicles were built or serviced with contamination within the chassis electronic module. This contamination can cause an electrical short in the module. If the module experiences an electrical short, the vehicle could display a check engine light, stall, or fail to start. If the vehicle is equipped with a trailer brake, the vehicle could lose trailer brake function and display a "Service Trailer Brake System" indicator. If the vehicle experiences this condition and stalls while in motion, there could be an increased risk of a vehicle crash. Additionally, a small number of 2007-2012 model year vehicles that include; 2008-2013 Chevrolet Avalanche, 2008-2009 Chevrolet Colorado vehicles; 2007-2013 Chevrolet Silverado, 2008-2014 Suburban, and Tahoe vehicles; 2008-2013 GMC Sierra and 2009-2012 Yukon vehicles; 2008-2009 GMC Canyon vehicles; 2009-2010 HUMMER H2, H3 and H3T vehicles; and 2008-2009 Saturn VUE and 2009 Outlook vehicles may have been serviced with a chassis electronic module that could have internal contamination, causing an electrical short in the module. If the module experiences an electrical short, the vehicle could display a check engine light, stall, or fail to start. If the vehicle experiences this condition and stalls while in motion, there could be an increased risk of a vehicle crash. Correction Dealers are to replace the chassis electronic module on all affected vehicles. Vehicles Involved All involved vehicles are identified by Vehicle Identification Number on the Investigate Vehicle History screen in GM Global Warranty Management system. Dealership service personnel should always check this site to confirm vehicle involvement prior to beginning any required inspections and/or repairs. It is important to routinely use this tool to verify eligibility because not all similar vehicles may be involved regardless of description or option content. For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles containing the complete vehicle identification number, customer name, and address information has been prepared and will be provided to US and Canadian dealers through the GM GlobalConnect Recall Reports, or sent directly to export dealers. Dealers will not have a report available if they have no involved vehicles currently assigned. The listing may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than follow-up necessary to complete this recall is a violation of law in several states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the follow-up necessary to complete this recall.

this a recalll, check that recall first

we have to start there then you can move to why pump not running ,cause it is related to the module in question causing a no start condition

Please let me know if that works for you or you need anything else on it

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How do i check the recall?? Fuel pump does come on when turned to the on position and my acadia does crank but won't start. My acadia stalled out 2 times and then I was able to drive it to my uncles but it was only letting me go 20 Mph and the bottom of the engine (the exhaust pipes) got bright orange. Now it won't start.

Call dealer ,supply him with Vin# ***** ask if that recall been performed on it or not

did you buy it new or used ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

don't drive , you are misfiring , the orange color means the catalytic converter is getting way past the temp designed and hopefully you did not ruin it .

is the check engine light flashing also ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it was
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I bought it used. Yes the check engine light was flashing.

Call dealer and ask on recall & have it towed

unless you really have a misfire issue,plugs coil , injector.

i would start with that recall and go from there

but have you check pulse on injectors and power & ground on coil ?

we need fuel & spark to start

we also need injector pulse and dme control of the injectors & coils ,we are missing one or both .

check engine light flashing means , random multiple misfire that will cause engine or catalytic damage .

you can drive on flashing light , a steady light is okay top get to you destination not flashing one ,since a/f ratio is off and will cause damage

THIS IS THE ENGINE CONTROL MODULE PIN OUT

WHAT ARE YOU MISSING YOU PIN OUT FOR THERE

CLICK ON BLUE LINK TO VIEW DIAGRAMS

IF YOU UNPLUG THE MAF SENSOR DOES IT START ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I called dealer and they said that my vehicle was not included in the recall.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It will only crank even when I unplug maf sensor
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's getting fuel and spark. But won't start

not possible , if you getting correct fuel & spark

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Would a clogged catalytic converter not allow it to start

if it really clogged yes it will

that is why confirming correct fuel or spark is important

with a proper scanner you can read o2 senors nd see if that is the case