Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GMC N.A.I.S.E. Certified Auto-Mechanic
20625509

My dads 2007 yukon is at the dealer...they replaced the cam

Customer Question

my dads 2007 yukon is at the dealer...they replaced the cam sensor and they didnt get the results they were looking for... now they are telling him that he needs to replace the cam. can a new sensor just not work properly? why would they need to replace the cam? isnt it just a metal tab on the cam that moves by the sensor?
JA: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?
Customer: i dont know the code.... they just told him it was the cam position sensor.
JA: Are you fixing your Yukon yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: its at the dealership... they replaced the cam pos sensor and said it didnt fix the problem. now they are telling him he needs to replace the cam itself.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not really.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

Just because the trouble code may refer to the camshaft position sensor, that doesn't always mean it's the sensor that is bad, the code just refers to the circuit, so it could be the sensor or it could be a loose wire connection, a shorted or open wire, etc.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. After all, you have already made the deposit.
If you are texting from a cellphone you must scroll all the way back up to the top to see the rating button.