Tims Auto Repair
Tims Auto Repair, GMC Mechanic
Experience:  have owned a repair shop for 25 years
14541291

I have an 06 GMC Sierra 4x4 5.3 liter it's stuck in 4low

Customer Question

I have an 06 GMC Sierra 4x4 5.3 liter it's stuck in 4low when I push the button for 2hi it just blinks
Category: GMC
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 2 months ago.

sorry for the delay.............
Prior to any Repair or Parts, you need to have the System Scanned for ALL Trouble Codes
Most low priced Scan Tools cannot read the***** so you need to have a shop or Dealer with the proper Scan Tool retrieve the Trouble Codes
This can be the encode motor sensor, encoder motor, harness, connections, control module, etc.
Without Scan Tool it is only a guess, as there are a number of Tests needed via Scan Tool to pinpoint

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have a snapon scanner no codes I work in a very well known shop been a tech for 30years
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I replaced the tccm now I have communication with the module had a po397 for the front axle actuator replaced it now I'm stuck in 4lo and when I try to go to 2hi it doesn't change the 2hi button just blinks then stops no codes

you posted that you "now have communication with the module & had p0397??
IF you repaired the p0397 & cleared the Trouble Code & it has NOT returned or any other Trouble Codes, then you should be able to run a test with Scan Tool for the Actuator & Encoder.
Also be sure ALL Connections are clean & tight

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok ill do that
Expert:  Tims Auto Repair replied 2 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

THIS SOUNDS AS IF YOU HAVE A BAD/WEAK TRANSFER CASE ACTUATOR/ENOCDER MOTOR AND IT MAY NEED TO BE REPLACED.

sometimes you can remove the actuator and manually shift the case back and forth a few times with a cresent wrench or l;arge pair of pliers,and it may start back working.,,

but i think it may need to be replaced.

also,check to make sure the case is full of fluid.

Parts InformationOEM Part #Price

Transfer Case Actuator

263

34 - Actuator

88962312 $713.60

Labor InformationSkill LevelMfg. WarrantyStandard

Replace 136, 236, 246

Shift Motor

New Style

B 0.6 - 0.9 hours labor

Replace 263

Shift Motor

B 0.6 - 0.9 hours labor

thanks

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there. please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER ,Chrome or Firefox.]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7iawx64wr9ioq0z/0104-gmc-Transfer%20Case%20Encoder%20Motor%20Replacement.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/7iawx64wr9ioq0z/0104-gmc-Transfer%20Case%20Encoder%20Motor%20Replacement.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help