Pete, GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM training and dealer tech for 14+ years. Diagnostics
14928985

Its a GM malibu left in park idling with a full tank of gas

Customer Question

its a GM malibu left in park idling with a full tank of gas overnight. this morning the battery is dead
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: the car has less than 8,000 miles, its new. iif I jump start, think its work> was hoping it shut itself off after a certain amount of time
JA: What year is your Malibu?
Customer: 2015 LT
JA: Are you fixing your Malibu yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing.went out this moring, keys in ignition, and the battery is dead. my question is would it have kept running until it ran out of gas? then drained the battery?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: never mind thought you were the mechanic ugh
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: GMC
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Pete replied 18 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Yes,it would have kept running until it ran out of fuel then stalled out and once this happened then with the key on then the battery would have drained out as well.It may have also shut off if for some reason it started to over heat while idling all night and in which the key would have been left on still and drained the battery.These are the two main reasons it would have stalled out and then the key would have been left on and drained out the battery here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete