Chris (aka-Moose), GMC Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I pulled the door fuse left to get another and tried to turn

Customer Question

I pulled the door fuse left to get another and tried to turn it back on. nothing. I have lights, stereo, etc. but when I try to turn the envoy on, it will not turn over not even a clicking sound.. I cant even jump it. I tried using a different battery still nothing.
JA: Have you checked the fuse?
Customer: yes
JA: What year is your Envoy?
Customer: 03 it was running fine this morning
JA: Are you fixing your Envoy yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I tried jumping it, using a different battery
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: GMC
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 16 days ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner past midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet for the question fees you have already paid.
  • I can help with this question.
  • Reply and let me know when your able to work on this concern.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
hi. well I also get a clicking sound for a few seconds from on top and rear of my engine when I try to start it. my dash lights go out when I turn the ignition and my battery is good.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
if we cant get this fixed in chat, we can talk on the phone tomorrow if that's ok.

What is the battery voltage with the headlights on?

What fuse did you remove and why?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
not sure what the voltage is but I tried a different battery, jumping it and had my battery tested. the battery tested good and jumping it didn't work. I replaced the power window, seat heater, power lock fuse. the switch box on the door got rained on ( wife left the window open) so I replaced the fuse. the envoy was running fine before I did that. I turned it off, pulled the fuse, got another, put it in and now it wont start.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
there is one fuse for the whole switch assembly.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I just don't get it, the thing was starting like a champ. no hesitation at all until after I changed the fuse.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
hello?

With the key in the run position is the theft light off?

With the key held in the start position are there 2 pins at the removed starter relay, under the hood, powered?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
no theft light on and I am not sure about the 2 pins. there is a second or 2 of clicking sound under the hood when the ignition is first on but it stops right away.

Thanks,

When do you believe you can check this?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
not sure which pins to check after I pull the relay.

Check them all.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
ok
it will take me about 15 min.

Thanks

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
ok, my test light is broken. I will have to buy a new one in the A.M.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
should we take this up after I buy one or is there anything else we can try?

You can reply tomorrow. Unless you would like an answer now which would just be me posting a wire diagram showing the circuit that I am walking you through the tests from.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I will reply tomorrow. when will be a good time?

I am on vacation so just reply when its convenient to you and I will respond when online.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
ok

Thanks

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
ok, I tested the starter relay. I got two ( + ) slots on the left side facing the firewall and two (-) on the right.
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 15 days ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** key held in the start position install the relay, does it click in your finger tips when installed and removed?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
ok, I just went ahead and changed the relay. still nothing. I put a test light on the starter solenoid. nothing.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I will do that next.
I got the solenoid to spin with the screwdriver method but the starter would not engage so I had them checked. Both are good.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
As soon as I get the starter back in, I will do what you said.

Okay

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
ok, starter is back in. the solenoid clicks a few times when I tried to start it. oh, I for got, all of the lights go out when I turn the ignition on.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
but come back on when I stop.

With the key held in the start position what is the voltage on the 2 wires to the starter?

Clicking starter solenoid means the starter is bad, engine is not able to spin, poor connections at the starter or battery, weak battery.

What now

1. You have asked a question.
  2. You have paid a deposit and received an info request and or answer(s).
  3. Now it is time to follow up if needed or rate my answer, hopefully 5 STAR EXCELLENT. Sometimes the rating fails, responding with (I am a pleased) will suffice.
  4. You are more than welcome to still follow up. I want you pleased with me and my answer(s).

Thanks for using Just Answer, and rating me so I am compensated, Chris

Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 10 days ago.

Hello again Chris here,

1. I have to assume you were not pleased with my help, because you have not replied or rated the post.
  2. What would you like to do regarding your question now?
  3. Do you still need help? Please reply I want you to get equal to or more than what you paid for.
  4. This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. That can prevent me from being able to post answers to your replies.

Thanks Chris