Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 20 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop
17920890

How do I fix a po174 one code system too lean bank 1 What's

Customer Question

How do I fix a po174 one code system too lean bank 1
What's the solution
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: GMC
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
2004 gmc savanna 2500 8 lug gvw8600 pounds
Read sheen drive 4.8 v8 engine
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 17 days ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.The most likely cause is a dirty mass air flow sensor. Try cleaning it and resetting the code. Let me know what happens. If that doesn't work I have several tests and possibilities for you.I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.
Thanks
Sonny
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I did that the other day and it cleared code / service engine light off but two days later it came back on with different code the first time I think it was a p142 or something like that
it has a p0142 now? Or that was before and now it has a po174?
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 16 days ago.

Do you still need help with this?
Please let me know.

Did my advice help? If so would you leaving a positive rating for me?
But if you still need help please let me know and I'll continue to help.

Thanks
Sonny

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Before now it only has the po174 code

ok so also check the oil filler neck o-ring. make sure it and the cap gasket for the oil filler tube is good. they split and cause this as well.

Also is your vehicle a E85 vehicle? meaning can you run E85 in it? If so you may have a upper intake gasket leak. Try spraying starting fluid or brake cleaner under the intake and see if the engine reacts. if so you need to change the gasket from the orange one to the green updated gasket.Let me know what you find and I will continue to help.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Upper intake/gasket location ? Is that the top half of the engine block

No. It is the plenum gasket under the intake manifold. about a 1-2hr job in a van. about $45 dollar part. it's only 30 min in the pickups.

Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 11 days ago.
Do you still need help with this?
Please let me know.Did my advice help? If so would you leaving a positive rating for me?
But if you still need help please let me know and I'll continue to help.Thanks
Sonny