Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 year experience.
10949255

We have a 2006 gmc c7500 topkick that does not want to

Customer Question

we have a 2006 gmc c7500 topkick that does not want to start...the starter was bad and we replaced it but it is loosing signal between the starter and ignition
JA: Does the engine turn over at all? Is this the original starter?
Customer: The engine cranks but does not turn over, the started was just replaced today
JA: What is the model of your '06 GMC?
Customer: c7500 top kick
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: replaced starter, replaced relay but did not change the symptom, technician can jumper the relay and get the truck to start but we are unable to find the wiring diagram for this portion of the vehicle to find out where it is loosing signal
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no i think that is everything
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Jake Cheek replied 19 days ago.

Hi my name is***** to JustAnswer.

The starter was replaced because of a no crank condition, now the engine cranks but does not start and run? And the technician can jump the relay and make the truck start and run? Is this a 6.6, 7.2, 7.8, or 8.1 liter engine? I want to get all the information I can so I can best help you.

Nothing against you its just some people use different terms so I am just going to lay them out so I don't get confused.

A no crank is when the starter does nothing. No noise, no nothing.

A no start is when the engine turns over but never fires - as in starting.

Can you please confirm the series of events - I know its frustrating to reiterate but I want to help you the best I can. I will look up some diagrams while I wait for your response.